New and need advice.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by briana1975, Feb 23, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Me and my family are in southeast Michigan. I have been looking into getting chickens for about a year or 2. We have the site picked out and fence up. WE have the lumber we need. We need to fill in some low spots and build but we are still waiting for the weather to break. Any suggestions on hatcheries to use? I don't want a big flock kinda small 10-15 chicks. Is it wise to order chicks for this March even though the coop is not done? We also have 2 inside dogs. What should I do early on to keep them away from the chickens? I plan on free ranging during the day but the not freezing months.

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] & [​IMG]
    Most hatcheries have a 25 minimum, where are you planning on getting your feed? Your feed store should have chicks, have you contacted them to see when & what breeds they are getting, they will get staggered shipments so some varieties could be there all ready & other breeds down the road....
    HTH
    Nadine

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Ideal and My Pet Chicken allow you to order less than 25 chicks. I'd order the chicks as motivation to get the coop done [​IMG]

4. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Welcome to BYC your chicks will need to stay warm in a brooder for a while but sooner coop gets done the better.

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

6. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I keep my chicks in a large plastic container, on top of my dog's kennel (which is large sized and fairly tall.) Do you have a table free? or an empty crate or a dresser, in a corner, up against a wall? I put a gate that used to divide my dog's kennel, over the top of the container, and placed a couple of heavy books on top for good measure. One of those small child/pet gates would work, too, laid across the top and adjusted to the size of your container. I attached the brooder light to the end of the crate. I keep a small blanket draped over part of the crate to help keep them out of my dog's view. This is all pretty make shift, but it works! My Cocker sits and salivates, but can't get to them... My Labrador just ignores them. The chicks will need to be inside till fully feathered... which might give you time to build a coop...

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Welcome from NM!

8. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG] from utah

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer