New and need help!

ckkat

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Eaton Rapids, MI
Hi, we have seven chickens and free range them during the day. Last night, one didn't come home. We found her this morning and she seems fine except for one swollen shut eye. She seems to be eating and drinking but tired. Will the other chicks bother her? Does she need medicine? She let me hold her and put some cold water on it. Help please - I'm a newbie at this. They are about five to six mths old. They are buff orpingtons

welcome-byc.gif

If it were my chicken, I would separate her and reintroduce to to the flock in a day or so if she seems alright. (But I am an old softie and I like to spoil them a little) If they are not picking on her then she can probably stay where she is. I had a chicken who survived a raccoon attack but later I realized she was blind in the one eye. She lived to be an old girl. I had one get stung by a wasp and she was fine later too.

I would watch her and see. They cannot see from dusk on so she may have gotten stuck and scared and ran into something.

Caroline

Just to update, she is doing much better! Her eye is open now just bruised. She seems frightened to go outside so staying in the barn but eating and drinking and definitely perking up! Thanks for the advice. Glad I found others who love raising chicks!

Back
Top Bottom