new and need help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by h0pingforchicks, Mar 4, 2014.

1. h0pingforchicks

h0pingforchicks New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Hi, I've been researching chickens for years...yes years. It started with looking at a house that was on an acre that was zoned agricultural still...when that house didn't pan out I started looking into local cities that would allow chickens (hens)...lucky me I'm in one (Hazel Park MI)...a few hoops to jump through but nothing to hard...I have a few questions....

I want to make a coop from pallets (since that will recycle and be the best option money wise)...any thoughts?

My kids all have allergies (dust) since chick have a lot of dust I'm thinking chicks might be hard in this frigid winter (Michigan)...advice please.......should we worry about other allergies?

Thanks so much...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots of people make coops out of pallets. Check out our coop section in the brown band at the top of the page. Probably the universal advice on coops is, make it bigger than you think you need. aAn 8x8 shed even for a few birds will not go to waste, between indoor living space during foul weather, storage, room to separate a sick bird, etc.

I would strongly recommend brooding the chicks outdoors, or buying older pullets or hens. Raising chicks creates a LOT of dust, from the dander they they shed, from their litter, even from their dried poop. In spite of the warmth that they require for the first few weeks, it can be done. I will not brood in my house. I have not heard of people with allergies having problems with chickens -- not that it doesn't happen, but I haven't run across anyone talking about it. It's recommended, of course, to teach kids to wash hands before and after handlng the chicks -- and a mask when in a dusty coop is a good idea for anyone.

Here is a thread showing how a very experienced chicken keeper broods outdoors, in your state, in cold weather:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures/0_20

1 person likes this.
  3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello and [​IMG]

4. h0pingforchicks

h0pingforchicks New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Thanks everyone...

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Flockwatcher has you on a good path with brooding outdoors. I can tell you that your allergies will get out of control with all that dander. I have allergies to bird dander and it really irritates my lungs badly. I got so bad I had to take antibiotics before I figured out I was allergic to by birds dander!

Good luck with your new poultry adventures and enjoy BYC!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Do a forum search on 'pallet coops'. Any number of threads will come up. I would seriously worry about allergies caused by the dander from the birds if raised in an enclosed environment.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by