New and need some help please

SewingMom2many

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Hello - I'm really new!
I just signed the lease on my small piece of country property today so I can finally get some chickens after wanting them for several years. I wish I would have done more research over the past couple of years because when I began to search for some chickens, I found out that there is a farm animal swap meet tomorrow! I am totally unprepared but I believe this meet only happens once a year and I'd really like to get a few babies. Could anyone give me some pointers on what to look for and maybe suggest a couple of breeds that would be good for a first timer? I only want female chickens and only for eggs, we don't eat meat. Is this even a good idea to just go get the chicks like this or is it better to order them? I would think better to pick them up so they don't have to be shipped. Also, I'm assuming I want chicks and not eggs since I have no idea how to incubate them. I have so much learning to do!

Thanks so much for any suggestions!
Laura

I would do your research and get everything ready and then get some chicks.
Figure out what breed you want too. FInding only chicks that will be female might be a problem if you don't no what
you are looking at. The sellers could tell you whatever they want and you wouldn't no any better.
You shouldn't have a problem finding chicks when you are ready. BYC and craigslist ect always has something so
dont feel you have to be in a hurry and buy from the swap.
Good luck and have fun!!

Oh I forgot!!!
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from SW Ohio!!!

welcome-byc.gif
I would definately do a little more research and prepare before you get your babies. Read around on BYC, google, ect. There are lots of different breeds of chickens and you may be happier if you research and find the breed(s) right for you. Go to the swap to look around, just to get an idea of what you like. You can usually score lots of great supplies like nesting boxes and such at swaps as well. Good luck with your new adventure.......and beware- chickens are very addicting!!!

Back
Top Bottom