New and newer

Too2much

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Starting out on this backyard chicken thing. Bought 10 chicks, 2 died within 48 hours, 1 turned out to be a rooster, big no no in my county. So I have 7 left, wanted to wait till I was fairly certain they were going to survive in my care before naming them. I have named my little flock "Yall Chickens", yes, they are all named Yall Chickens, simple yet effective, don't have to tell them apart, although some of their personalities are shining through.

In 3 months, they have gone from fluffy balls of peeping cuteness, into a gang of Juvenal delinquents. They are enclosed next to the house while growing and until the coop is done. I can open my french door directly into their pen, thinking how clever I was and patting myself on the back, I started sitting on the stoop in the pen and hand feeding them, the cuteness factor on overload as Yall Chickens started competing for room on my lap and worms from my fingers, what I did not realize is, they started associating the door with treats. The door opens and worms come out. After, I started noticing they were staring a hole through the door. Then the little rooster started crowing at 5:30 in the morning, arrrggg. Looking through the slit, that gang of thugs were actually egging on that little rooster to crow at the door, ok, just this once, I gave in, lights on, worm treats in hand, door opens and they are all milling about nonchalantly, right! I saw them burning a hole through the door not 5 minutes before. Now this went on for about a week until little Tyson found a nice home in a place where he can crow his heart out or he ended up in the soup pot.

With what I thought was the ring leader gone, peace would reign again. Reality, poor Tyson was the dupe, the patsy, Yall Chickens was really running the show and she is a clever bird, within a couple days I started hearing knocks at the door, Yall Chickens was teaching the other Yall Chickens to peck the door, seven little peckers knocking at the door at 5:30 in the morning. Worse then that, they have pecked a big hole in the screen door, got into my room, found the bag of worms, roosted on the furniture and worse of all, they pooped all over the place! Breaking and entering, ransacking and vandalizing the place with no shame. This is not what I had in mind for their first taste of free ranging.

Coop building has gone into building frenzy mode. Kicking them out of the nest so soon is just a fact of life, they need their space. Those eggs better be worth it.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

LOVE your intro!! ....In 3 months, they have gone from fluffy balls of peeping cuteness, into a gang of Juvenal delinquents....
gig.gif
You are too funny!

Well I am certainly glad you are enjoying them. Chickens sure are fun to keep!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your crazy flock and welcome to ours! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

LOVE your intro!! ....In 3 months, they have gone from fluffy balls of peeping cuteness, into a gang of Juvenal delinquents....
gig.gif
You are too funny!

Well I am certainly glad you are enjoying them. Chickens sure are fun to keep!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your crazy flock and welcome to ours! :)
Yes that definitely was a very funny and it definitely made my day lol!
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

Hey @Too2much I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I would like to welcome you with open arms! Yes this site is very helpful for all chicken related things! I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates You sound like you would be a good egg-median see this is why I never do jokes lol. If you wanna post some chicken jokes it always lightens up the mood. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/24/games-jokes-and-fun I am happy you were able to follow your dream and get a flock of your own that is so nice! All the best of luck to you and your flock!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined and thanks for sharing your story. Its amazing how clever the little things can be, when they chose to
smile.png

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yall chickens did the free range /dust bath /happy dance this afternoon. I was outside watching them as I rigged up my new and fortified anti-chicken security screen door, it's a bit redneck ghetto, ok, it's a lot ghetto, the old screen door with chicken wire and duct tape, don't judge. As I am working Yall Chickens came over to see what I was doing, ahhh, how sweet, ouch, no no pecking bugs off mama, ouch, ouch, stop that, ouch, now you did that one on purpose! In the blink of an eye I was deep in enemy territory, mama got bug, peck, peck, whatcha doing, peck, shirt tag, peck, ouch, why you little....on my feet with a broom, free-range time OVER, back in the pen! After the ransacking, I decided one door out wasn't going to work anymore, they needed a new door pointing the right direction. Yes, it's another redneck ghetto door, only better, it's the "I am a big chicken now" door and it opens to the backyard. Girls are settled in for the night, screen door in place and I am left to wonder, did I get scratch and dent, clearance sale chicks?

Back
Top Bottom