New and Trying to learn how to help Guatemalans with backyard flocks

ccello

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 4, 2010
Texas Mexico Guatemala
Hi everyone...
I am new to forums in general. My daughter has serama chickens but I have 2 regular heinz-57 egglaying hens...Both of them gold colored and very sweet. I have always enjoyed chickens...seems like we always have a few, though we live a very unusual life. We travel from the U.S. to Guatemala regularly (we start small Christian youth orchestras)...but in Guatemala anyone who has any land at all has chickens. So naturally we started getting involved in chickens too. We took our incubator with us one year and hatched chicks there. Then a couple of years ago we did a project building incubators. We found that our sucess was limited by one thing.... Many times a disease will come through and wipe out everyones chickens...Very sad for the families there as well as for us since we always get to know our chickens personally! So.... I am forever looking for answers on how to help people there stop these diseases from wiping out their flocks. We would like to try taking some American chickens down there with us but I sure don't want to see them die if it is possible to prevent it. We tried vaccinating the chicks we hatched there but still when the disease came it took all of them. So tragic.

I am sure you all know more about this forum than I...So if you can direct me where to write or who to write to I would be grateful.

I will sure enjoy reading all the great posts here!

Coleen

Greetings from Tucson, AZ and
welcome-byc.gif
I love Guatemala! We've been a few times and especially loved the adventure of the bus ride from San Ignacio, Belize to Tikal (before it was paved). Good luck with helping the locals with their birds. It's a tough environment!

Back
Top Bottom