New ...and with question.....

wooody_1

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Indiana
Good Morning from Indiana...
I am new to BYC and also very new to raising chickens. This started with my daughter wanting to show chickens in 4H next year... the coop was easy. And its done... Now I am in a pickle on the right birds to show. But would also like to benefit from this also ( fresh eggs...yum) my daughter is all for it, so I had her look and we also visited local people with chickens... she really likes the Barred Rock, White Rock and Black ast.... Any suggestion...any help on deciding..... I know we want a friendly breed, and if we buy pullets now will they be ready for fair time.....

welcome-byc.gif
from ct

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from NC! Your daughter has some good options! I would personally suggest Barred Rocks, very pretty, docile, and rarely go broody. Have fun and good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
from Michigan

Oh, go for the Black A's - they lay well, overwinter well, and you can't beat those shiny black feathers that glow almost deep green in the sunshine.

Thanks for all the info , we have decided on Barred Rock and Black Aust... for starters.... my coop and run can manage up to 6..( didnt want to go to crazy, and you know how little girls change there minds...lol) we are going to pick up 2 Black aust. today.
big_smile.png
These are 13 wk old pullets. One of our local people say that the hens lay better with a rooster...?? I havent read anything to agree or disagree with this ...any experieces to collaborate this info?

Back
Top Bottom