New...and worried!

sumatra

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
NW PA
Hi-I'm from NW Pa and have had chickens for 6 years. I've got Spitzhauben, Sumatra, serama, Malay and blue slate turkeys. Also, 5 runner dux and 1 or two odd chickens. i am having a LOT of trouble with coryza and pox which I got as a bonus at an auction. I only paid for the birds; I guess the diseases came free of charge. I quarentined them and everything! I did post on here earlier for advice, so I am hoping that I don't have to lose all my birds. I wish I could be upbeat about joining up here, but I have been dealing with this since Thanksgiving. I usually can't sit still in front of the computer, but today it occurred to me that all the research in the world wouldn't be as much help as advice from people here! I is a slow learner. . .

(f) Infectious Coryza
Infectious coryza is caused by a small bacterium, Haemophilus gallinarum, which mainly infects growing and
laying fowls under conditions of poor hygiene, ventilation and nutrition. Symptoms are discharge from the
eyes and nostrils, a swollen face, a drop in egg production and sometimes diarrhoea. It is a chronic disease
which can result in mortalities when complicated with other infectious agents. Infected birds should be culled,
as they may remain carriers for several months after infection. Preventative measures include rearing
growers away from older birds, culling of carrier birds and improved management.

(c) *Fowl Pox
This is a highly infectious disease caused by various host-specific strains of pox virus. Many birds are
affected by these viruses to a greater or lesser degree. The virus can be transmitted directly by infected
birds, or be carried by mosquitoes or other blood sucking insects. By removing the breeding areas for these
insects the rate of spread of the virus will decrease.
00a9.png
Northern Territory Government, 2006 Page 5 of 6
Fowl pox virus attacks the skin and the surface of the mouth and throat. Depending on its location, pox is
referred to as either skin pox or wet pox. Skin pox forms wart-like sores which eventually enlarge, forming
masses of yellow, dirty crusts. In about a week these scabs darken and fall off. Wet pox forms cheesy
masses in the mouth, nose and throat which interfere with eating and drinking.
Antibiotics may be administered to prevent bacterial infections but the best method of control and prevention
is by vaccination of day-old chicks.
This virus is capable of surviving for a long time in infected material such as scabs and litter, so they must be
incinerated for it to be destroyed.

sigh. I was really hoping that you had a miracle up your sleeve. But I do thank you for not shying away from telling me. It is what I needed to hear from someone else, I guess,because I didn't want to tell me, either.

Sorry the News was not good...

But
welcome-byc.gif
from Alaska

There are many interesting people and lots of great info here.

Thank you for joining us.

Well, I'll be ok now. The hardest part is making the decision. Now that I know what I've gotta do, I'll be ok. The worst of it all was Christmas eve, when my favorite little serama rooster died in my hands. I have a few chix up here in the house that I hatched from eggs collected before I went to the auction. That was the weekend of the Ohio National show, but i didn't go because it was too expensive. Thank you for the kind thoughts; i'm going to try to think about not having a huge feed bill.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered.
hugs.gif
That really stinks.
sad.png
I hope from here on in, things will be much better for you.
fl.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you on board with us.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC and please keep us updated. There is always someone online to sympathize with you -- or celebrate with you, which hopefully you'll get to experience soon!

Back
Top Bottom