New at hatching need direction

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bdp7150, Dec 23, 2009.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    Brooder after hatch i will start with chick starter feed which is medicated (and alittle gro-gel)and is there anything else that needs to be done like vaccinations that i can do ,these birds are bantams ?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You ether use the medicated food or do vaccinations but you don't do both. I use the medicated food.

3. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I thought the medicated feed was just for coccidia prophylaxis. I doubt that it protects against Mareck's or pox or bronchitis?

4. rebelcowboysnb

Medicated feed kills the effectiveness of those vaccines. Not sure how good it helps on those issues tho.

5. rebelcowboysnb

Guess I should say that I am just repeating what I have been told. No proof.

Ive never known anyone to vaccinate there birds.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That's only true if you vaccinate for cocci. Medicated feed has no effect on any other vaccines you chose to give them.

7. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks K.T. that makes sense.

The best reason to vaccinate is to prevent spreading of a disease through a large flock. If you have only one small group of chickens you can take more of a risk. I had a few of mine from a hatchery vaccinated against Marek's this year, but none of the rest.
    I've done some "bad" things like mixing birds of different ages, adding turkeys and geese...and I've been lucky.

but years ago I worked for a chicken ranch in California where we raised 100,000 commercial laying leghorns at a time. My job was actually to vaccinate and debeak (awful) the birds.

8. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    i feed medicated food for the coccidia but since the birds i have in bator is coming from me and not the hatchery how can i treat for mareck's and bronchitis at home?

9. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    You can buy your own vaccines depending on your state laws. ask your extension agent or a local hatchery which diseases are prevalent in your area and then order vaccines from various suppliers. I've seen bottles of 1000 doses only but cheap enough to use and throw away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by