new at quail

Jeffr3333

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hi i'm new to the byc I'm in north west AR I just started raising coturnix quail and they are pecking each other on the back any tips would be much appreciated

Male quail try to grab the females on their backs and necks in order to hold on to them while they breed. Could that be what's happening?

4 males 11 female I had them in a small pen till I made them a larger coop they didn't start till after the move now the coop is 3×9

You have too many roosters in too small a space. If you plan to keep multiple coturnix roosters in the same cage there needs to be 5-7 hens per rooster and about 3-4 sq ft per bird. With the number of roosters you have in that space you will continue to have problems. Fertility lasts for 5-7 days after breeding, so one rooster can easily keep 7 hens fertile. You stand to gain nothing by having more roosters in the same space. Often will fertility will actually drop because they are spending half their time doing territorial displays or fighting.

Thank you for your help I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out this site and every one has been a big help

Back
Top Bottom