New at raising chickens

chickynelson

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
Cheney, WA.
Hello everyone! My name is Krista and I have learned so much on this journey that started on May 21, 2016. I have had some hardships with loosing one chick but have raised the other 5 successfully so far. I love my little chicken ladies except I'm unsure if one or two of them are Roos! I sadly would be heartbroken because I really love my barred rock whom is now sqwacking and carries on in the morning just like a young rooster (I think). Fortunately for this little chicken it's name is Messi (soccer player) so that's one good thing....lol! I live within city limits and am not allowed roosters and I think I may have a hard time finding a home for this guy.....it won't be my freezer either! Any suggestions? Thank you everyone....I'm really excited about this site with all of you knowledgable and friendly chicken lovers.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

You can post photos in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum so we can help you sex your birds.

Finding homes for cockerels can be exceeding difficult. All I can say is advertise everywhere. And hope they are good tempered birds. A home can be found for any nice cockerel if you have enough patience. Mean cockerels always go to the stew pot in the end.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Hi :welcome Krista

Glad you could join the flock! I hope you are able to find new homes if you do have boys. Please do check out the what breed gender section for help with their gender first. Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Back
Top Bottom