New at raising chickens.

VAchick61

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
I started off with 15 "day old" chicks. Hatched 3 March and arrived in mail 6 March. It was so cold 2 arrived dead. I ended up losing 8 more over next 2 days. So I was freaking out. Went to Southern States for 6 more chicks at the end of March. All 11 are thriving although the 5 oldest seem to have differences with the 6 younger chicks. It's like I have 2 different flocks.
My husband built Fort Knox back in the woods for them. 8X10' house with a completely fensed in "yard" including overhead. They have quite a bit of room in their yard.
I have one hen that falls over and can't seem to get herself back up. Any ideas of this?
I really appreciate any help and advise.

Also can anyone tell me when (age of chicken) a rooster becomes really appearant. I had ordered 2 but don't know if I have any left.

Greetings from Kansas, VAchick61, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I'm unsure on your toppling chicken - you might try posting the symptoms in the link below. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I am not sure about your toppling chicken either. What I can say is once the chicken start filtering out you can usually tell a Rhode Island Red Rooster by its cold being rather than the rest of the birds. Otherwise you can also check by giving them a start,a rooster will usually stay firm while the hens will run from you.I hope this helps not sure I did much for you, you never know.

Thanks to all for the welcoming and also your thoughts and links. I'll try the links. :)

Back
Top Bottom