New at raising chicks! feed questions

bercawhomestead

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2019
Upstate NY
Hi! We just today picked up our first tiny little flock of chicks. For whatever reason, we were under the impression that the chicks were 6 weeks. However, after researching photos of 6 week old chicks, we're certain we have 1 week old chicks. After a long, embarrassing laugh at ourselves, I am wondering what we should be feeding them? We purchased what the local ag store told us to get (where we bought the chicks), which is "Nutrena." Is that a decent food for them?
We have them outside inside the coop with the heat lamp (only supposed to get into the 50s for overnight lows this time of year). Should we be feeding them other treats? Or putting stuff in their water? I feel silly that we thought they were so much older and now I am worried because they are so fragile and young!! Any suggestions welcome!

First off, CONGRATS!!! Baby chicks are so fun and funny to watch.

We began with Nutrena starter feed with no issue. No treats this young, not at only a week. I now feed scratch n peck grower which I like better in that they don't blow through so much and it can be fermented which eliminates the need for a bunch of extra supplements. The only thing I'd recommend is some chick boost for their water; it has probiotics and electrolytes and is fairly inexpensive.

Do you have pics! What kind of chicks did you get?

First off, CONGRATS!!! Baby chicks are so fun and funny to watch.

We began with Nutrena starter feed with no issue. No treats this young, not at only a week. I now feed scratch n peck grower which I like better in that they don't blow through so much and it can be fermented which eliminates the need for a bunch of extra supplements. The only thing I'd recommend is some chick boost for their water; it has probiotics and electrolytes and is fairly inexpensive.

Do you have pics! What kind of chicks did you get?
We got 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Black Sex Links, and 2 Jersey Giants. They are SO funny to watch. There is one that is super adventurous and really wants to explore everything. It's not a good picture (my dog is very interested too).

Attachments

• chicks.jpg
    chicks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom