New at this! Nervous and excited

littlejohnacres

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2016
Casstown, Ohio
Hi all,
I got a little coop for X-mas and last Sunday I bought 4 - 15 week old Isa Brown's. I was getting a little worried because they weren't coming out of the coop (it has been very cold here). Finally yesterday was a little warmer and they came out as I was spreading straw around on the ground for them. Is this normal?? They seem to be ok. Any tips would be helpful. Can't wait till they start laying eggs :)

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! We're glad you're here!
They are probably just getting used to their home. Give them a little time :)

Chickens are easily stressed by moves, new members in a flock, or changes in their routine. When they feel secure they will be out and about exploring and showing their true personalities. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Hi all,
I got a little coop for X-mas and last Sunday I bought 4 - 15 week old Isa Brown's. I was getting a little worried because they weren't coming out of the coop (it has been very cold here). Finally yesterday was a little warmer and they came out as I was spreading straw around on the ground for them. Is this normal?? They seem to be ok. Any tips would be helpful. Can't wait till they start laying eggs :)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Don't worry about it. When chickens arrive in a new home they tend to be a little timid. Also if they are getting a little cold they will go inside and huddle together to keep each other warm. Not much you have to worry about. By the way your chickens will pick up on your emotions try to be as less stressed as you can. Just about all animals will pick up on emotions. It's very interesting on how they can connect to you.

welcome-byc.gif

Congratulations on getting your first flock and the coop! Everything stresses out chickens...new coop, additions to the flock, a gust of wind, etc. The good news is they adapt pretty quickly. It sounds like they are fine.

If you have questions, always feel free to ask, there are a lot of helpful friendly members here.

Thanks for joining us!

Glad you joined us! If they are already 15 weeks olds they should start laying soon. My Isa Browbs started laying at 4-1/2 months and have been great layers! My chickens don't like coming out in the snow and cold. I encourage them to come out by throwing some scratch and gravel in the run. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! They have been coming out more and more the last couple of days. I try to spend time with them so they get used to me. I love them!! I have been reading and getting a lot of information. So I am feeling a little more at ease.

Back
Top Bottom