New at this!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mountain Hens, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Mountain Hens

Mountain Hens New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Hello!
    We are a new chicken family and have never had anything other than cats and dogs before. This is all very new to us, but we are finding great information all over the web! This site in particular has been super helpful!

We have an 18 week old Golden Sexlink, an 18 week old Americauna, and two 10/11 week old Silver Laced Hens.

Our Golden started laying eggs this week... at first it was every other day, now she's up to once a day! And every single time she finishes her lay she comes out of the coop hollering as loud as she can. Is that normal?

Mountain Hen Mama

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She may be doing the egg song "Bawk bawk bawk BAGAWK!!!! Some hens think they have to tell the world that they just laid an egg. At times other hens will join in with her. Sometimes their pride can cause them to announce it several times a day. Not to be confused with a rooster crowing.

3. jpalmatier83

jpalmatier83 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    Traverse City, MI
    Lol, yeah. The first couple times I heard the egg song I was in the house. Went running as fast as I could assuming something tearing through the coop... Highly disturbing if you don't know what you're hearing.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Haha that can be quite alarming! But yes, it's completely normal. Sounds like you have a nice flock! If you ever have any questions, always feel free to ask. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That's is what we call the "egg song". Perfectly normal behaviour and you'll find sometimes the rooster (if you have one) and the other hens may join in the commotion.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you have a wonderful summer! :)

8. Mountain Hens

Mountain Hens New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you for all the replies! I think it is so funny to hear her and I'm glad it's normal! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by