New at this .....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lisa Doodeman, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Lisa Doodeman

Lisa Doodeman Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    Hi my name is Lisa. From Albion Park Rail NSW Australia... Hello to my fellow Fowl friends

So you want to know a little bit about me. Im 47 now. My childhood consisted of living on a big Pullet farm filled with Suffix chickenschickens. Approx 5000 free range chicks to 10 week old chickens. Then after that they went to other farms before ..[​IMG]

I recently got reintroduced to a chook tronic backyard chook pen with only 1 very independant ISA Brown Hen named Jinx. She is approx 2 years old. Very friendly, loves a pat and a play fight. She just loves attention and she is very sneaky. She is also not clipped. I guess she likes the place she lives in so much. She has not flown the coop. LOL...

So I wanted to add to her life. So I looked on line for some rescue layers (hens). I found out that a man who is RSPCA approved. Rescued a lot of x battery Hens from a farm, that was running illegally. In NSW the laws are strict. No battery run farms aloud. Big fines apply.

So where was I..... I went and picked up a fat Hen. My step mum named her Henny Penny and the name has stuck. As I was picking her up. I noticed a small chicken that was being picked on. My heart felt for it. Gender unknown at this stage. I forgot to ask the gender of the chook. So I purchased it as well. It got the name Speckles, due to her juvenile feather plumage.

So fast forward...(speckles) The chicken is approx 4 months old. Her gender im hoping is a Hen. I will wait for another 3 months. To find out for sure. The gender.

Everyday. I talk to them. They are all very spoilt with scraps, grain food, fresh water everyday and they get every couple of days an egg. They are real gutsies. They follow me everywhere and there is no end to their cheekiness and sneakiness.

Picture displayed is Jinx (hen). On wood. She looks like a Rooster. Henny Penny (hen) Isa Brown not facing the camera and
    Speckles (gender ???). I say Pullet, Some say Cockerill.
    Is Pullet a breed like an ISA Brown. Or Pullet referring to under 1 year old Hen ?????.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Lisa, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I love your story about how you acquired your chickens - very entertaining. You're soon to be greeted by another BYC member from your neck of the woods - goes by the username Teila....Teila always gives great great advice and warm welcomes. Best wishes and thanks for boarding the chicken train!! [​IMG]

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Aaaw, gees redsoxs, I am blushing! Lol [Thank You!]

Howdy Lisa [​IMG] Welcome!

Good thing you purchased Speckles also, not only is she a cutie but it is always a good idea to have 3 or more chickens. Sadly, we do lose chickens along the way and if you only have 2 and lose 1 the remaining chicken can get very lonely. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! Had to make an emergency dash to buy a companion and waive the recommended quarantine period etc but luckily it all worked out and we now have 5.

I am not very good at picking gender and recommend you try posting some individual pics on this Forum where you should get some more opinions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

A pullet is a young hen.

A few of us Aussies hang out here and if you get a chance, we would love for you to pop in and say Hi, you would be most welcomed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-that-funny-little-island/32100#post_17921743

I hope you enjoy your BYC membership. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello Lisa welcome to Backyard Chickens. :welcome

You have a very nice looking flock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day Lisa, welcome to Backyard chickens. BYC has a large Aussie community - the more, the merrier. You can post photos of your birds at "what breed or gender is this?"

they could be able to tell which if any are roos.

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Lisa! I enjoyed your intro and thank you for including pictures.

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by