New at this...

Newbeloveschics

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
We are new to chickens hence the name I chose. I wanted to have chickens when I was growing up and now my son decided to get chickens. What wonderful creatures they are. We started out with 5 hens. My son build the coop with a friend that has chickens. Last Saturday we had a terrible accident to occur with one of our dogs, very playful and curious...saw something inside the coop that she wanted. She pushed in an unstable door that struck the heating lamp which unintentionally started a fire. Two silver laced Wynedotte's made it out. One ran and hurt herself getting through the fenced in back yard and the other was on fire as she ran towards our home and dropped over dead at my daughters feet. I put out the fire with help from neighbors and my son and daughter. We found the other three huddled in a corner of the coop. The fire traveled very fast and it was extremely hot. They didn't have a chance. I lost my New Hampshire white hen which had silver lace like tips on her wings and two Red Rhode Island chickens in the fire. We have torn down the coop and are rebuilding.

I am telling you this so that I can give some background on the amount of knowledge and time I have. The chicks were around 4 weeks old when we got them and had them for about 2 weeks. We are down to one silver laced Wynedotte. When I found her in the wooded area behind our fenced yard, she is injured on her right leg or foot area. I don't know what to do. It took a few days for her to stand. She stands on the leg but tends to roost a lot or maybe I should say, sit a lot. She holds the leg out behind her suspended in air and sometimes checks it with her beak after she brings it forward so she can extend and move the leg. I hope it is just a sprain or maybe a ligament? She does limp now. Also, she started eating again the day after the fire. I know she was frightened and probably distraught on losing four of her "family" members of the flock. They were all around the same age and they stuck together when we let them open range. The other Silver Laced Wynedotte was like her twin. They were inseparable. I am concerned for her and afraid she might die if she is alone for long. We got these chickens as a way of receiving fresh eggs and turned out that we also made them pets and we grew attached very quickly, so, we are all heartbroken. Can you give me pointers on what to do about her leg or foot? Is there anything I should do or should I leave her alone? I have considered a local vet? I'm frustrated... FYI We will be obtaining more chickens soon.

UPDATE:

We have CHICKENS!!!!
We rebuilt the coop and now, we have chickens! They are around 6 to 7 weeks old so when we introduced our current chicken which is a silver laced Wynedotte, they were accepting. I kept them inside the house, in the box the first night, just to see if they would pick on her because she was still limping. It was amazing how they were so accepting of her. They have not picked on her at all. Just what I would call "normal" chicken behavior, Like, stepping on each other trying to get to a worm... kinda thing. So, morning after we got the new babies, we put all of them outside in the "new" coop. They took to it wonderfully. Everyone seems happy! Yesterday, we gave them free range time in our area we have torn up in our backyard for a garden we haven't finished plowing. Lots of worms were found with eating grass and dirt and bugs and scratching the dirt. I love my happy, happy chickens! Last night, they did exactly as they have the past few nights... huddled together and of course, fussed at each other on where they were going to sleep and which chick each wanted to be next to. This morning, the ladies were up and at 'em and happy to be eating bits of apple along with their regular food. :) I'm loving this!

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]We are new to chickens hence the name I chose.  I wanted to have chickens when I was growing up and now my son decided to get chickens.  What wonderful creatures they are.  We started out with 5 hens.  My son build the coop with a friend that has chickens.  Last Saturday we had a terrible accident to occur with one of our dogs, very playful and curious...saw something inside the coop that she wanted.  She pushed in an unstable door that struck the heating lamp which unintentionally started a fire.  Two silver laced Wynedotte's made it out.  One ran and hurt herself getting through the fenced in back yard and the other was on fire as she ran towards our home and dropped over dead at my daughters feet.  I put out the fire with help from neighbors and my son and daughter.  We found the other three huddled in a corner of the coop.  The fire traveled very fast and it was extremely hot.  They didn't have a chance.  I lost my New Hampshire white hen which had silver lace like tips on her wings and two Red  Rhode Island chickens in the fire.  We have torn down the coop and are rebuilding.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I am telling you this so that I can give some background on the amount of knowledge and time I have.  The chicks were around 4 weeks old when we got them and had them for about 2 weeks.  We are down to one silver laced Wynedotte.  When I found her in the wooded area behind our fenced yard, she is injured on her right leg or foot area.  I don't know what to do.  It took a few days for her to stand.  She stands on the leg but tends to roost a lot or maybe I should say, sit a lot.  She holds the leg out behind her suspended in air and sometimes checks it with her beak after she brings it forward so she can extend and move the leg.  I hope it is just a sprain or maybe a ligament?   She does limp now. Also, she started eating again the day after the fire.  I know she was frightened and probably distraught on losing four of her "family" members of the flock.  They were all around the same age and they stuck together when we let them open range.  The other Silver Laced Wynedotte was like her twin.  They were inseparable.   I am concerned for her and afraid she might die if she is alone for long.  We got these chickens as a way of receiving fresh eggs and turned out that we also made them pets and we grew attached very quickly, so, we are all heartbroken.  Can you give me pointers on what to do about her leg or foot?  Is there anything I should do or should I leave her alone?  I have considered a local vet?  I'm frustrated...  FYI  We will be obtaining more chickens soon.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]UPDATE:

We have CHICKENS!!!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]We rebuilt the coop and now, we have chickens!  They are around 6 to 7 weeks old so when we introduced our current chicken which is a silver laced Wynedotte, they were accepting.  I kept them inside the house, in the box the first night, just to see if they would pick on her because she was still limping.  It was amazing how they were so accepting of her.  They have not picked on her at all.  Just what I would call "normal" chicken behavior,  Like, stepping on each other trying to get to a worm... kinda thing.  So, morning after we got the new babies, we put all of them outside in the "new" coop.  They took to it wonderfully.  Everyone seems happy!  Yesterday, we gave them free range time in our area we have torn up in our backyard for a garden we haven't finished plowing.  Lots of worms were found with eating grass and dirt and bugs and scratching the dirt.  I love my happy, happy chickens!  Last night, they did exactly as they have the past few nights... huddled together and of course,  fussed at each other on where they were going to sleep and which chick each wanted to be next to.  This morning, the ladies were up and at 'em and happy to be eating bits of apple along with their regular food.  :)  I'm loving this! [/COLOR]

Hello and :welcome. Wow, it sounds like you have been through so much but have perservered. I'm happy to see that one made it out and continues to thrive amongst her new friends. Good luck with all you babies. :hugs

Last edited:
Hello & welcome! A happy ending to the initial tragedy...how is your chicken with the leg doing?? If you weren't able to see any open wounds or such, you are probably right in your assessment of muscle strain. Just monitor over the coming weeks, it should improve by itself. Some high protein treats for her would be good - mealworms, crickets etc. I'm glad to hear they are all getting along well.
I have a terrible phobia about fire, so it was a long time before I would use a heated waterer in the coop over winter. My lights are double hung so they can't fall, the chicks lamp is actually outside the brooder, so if it falls it won't set fire. Can you tell I'm paranoid???
lau.gif

Good luck with your ladies,
smile.png

Thank you. Yes. I do have a fear of fire.. even now when I don't have a lamp inside the coop. I just dont want to take that chance. I think we are good now since it is the end of April and it has warmed up and it shouldnt get below 45 degrees. "Phoenix" is doing well. She is still limping but nothing like she was. She holds her own and is using her leg more and more each day. I honestly think that she has improved since she has a "new" family to be around. I have been feeding her mealworms as treats and regular earth worms right out of the garden. She / they like pecking and finding them on their own. The "garden" is not actually a garden yet. It is broken ground without plants. We haven't had the time... Anyway, thank you and take care.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about this horrible tragedy.
hugs.gif
This must have been very difficult for you to get over. And I am sorry about the Wyandotte. She may have just sprained it in fear and accidentally hurt herself. If she does not improve soon, you might keep her in a small cage with food and water close, so she can't move around much, keeping her confined so it can heal. Sprains can take a few weeks to heal on chickens.

And congrats on your new flock! So glad everybody is getting along well. Make yourself at home here on BYC and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Very sorry about the fire and loss of most of your first flock, glad that Phoenix is doing better, she is one tough girl. Good luck with the new chicks and hope everything goes well.

Hello and welcome, I am a newbie also. Sorry you had such a horrible event. It is very good you were able to get more chicks right away. Good luck !!

Thank you. She is growing and now has a "new family" All are doing well and have begun to develop their combs. Phoenix is a little smaller and her comb is not as pronounced but she is quickly catching up and her injury seems to be mending well. We can hardly tell that anything ever happened to her :) Slight limp sometimes but becoming less noticeable over time.

Back
Top Bottom