new at this!!

kalarw

Hatching
May 6, 2015
I am sorry if I sound like an idiot I have no idea what to do with this new chick. We had a bantam hatch I found it under one of our bigger hens that I had to protect from the other girls.so I took it out put it under a heat lamp with food and water. Should I have just left it alone? Will it know how to eat in its own? Any help would be appreciate d

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for the emergency. Can you possibly isolate the hen that hatched the chick away from the flock so that she can safely raise the chick. It will learn to eat and drink, but life is a lot easier when the momma hen raises the chicks.

They like to have a buddy too they do not do well on there own, maybe get a chic from the feed an grain store? if the hen will do it that good too..

Why did you take it away from the hen that hatched it? should have moved both together if you were concerned about location and safety.
If all else fails get a duckling , I had one that mothered my chicks we got as it was alone at the farm store and we felt sorry for it, and put them all into the brooder together. Then went out into the coop at 3 weeks, only problem is now she's so much bigger and she played momma to the chicks now she is playing dual role of rooster keeping the peace but doesn't want to let anyone else into the flock

Back
Top Bottom