New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

Today is the second day of lock down, although no change. Should the egg be rocking, or moving, or anything like that by now? It's day 26 since we started incubating, but the first day was not in our current incubator so it may be more like day 25.

After some research into internal pips, I made a small attempt last night to look through the egg shell with a bright light without removing it from the incubator to see if I could see any sort of internal pip or shadowing, but I couldn't see anything like that.

Just took this photo as well, thought I might share it!

I added a small towel in the incubator to help maintain a steadier heat, and I thought it would give the egg more room to 'move into position' if it needs to do that, rather than how it was previously. It's still sitting on the tissue it was on previously though.

There is the small bowl for water and humidity along with a paper towel which I can increase humidity with in a hurry if needed, and the gap in the lid for ventilation.

Temperature is sitting between 36.9'c and 37.2' generally although it fluctuates a little by .1 degree up or down because it's not a 100% stable incubator environment but I adjust it if I see that change and it's not out of the desired range for more than 15 minutes. There's three different thermometers in the incubator, the little orange one I sat on top of the egg for a few hours to help me register the exact temperature that's reaching the egg from the heat lamp above (37.0'c) and I thought if it rocks maybe it'll knock that off and I'll know about it in case I miss it, hahah.

Trying not to... do much and just be patient. I just hope I'm doing all the right things so far.

Last edited:
This morning starts the fourth day of lockdown. Still no movement or rocking of the egg, external pipping or any sounds to be heard.
th.gif

I don't know if maybe it's development is slow, and we locked it down too early- I hope that won't affect it badly for not being turned if it still needed to be turned?

There's also a chance it could be another type of native bird, the Australian Brushturkey? I've seen some of them around recently too. Perhaps it could be something else entirely like a peacock or a pheasant. I don't think it would be a goanna because I think they have soft-shell eggs, but maybe, we do have plenty of those too! I'll be frustrated if that's the case because I know I can't keep a pet goanna or poisonous snake!

Five days since first lock down, still no movement or change at all...
sad.png
I've got my hopes on slow development (or a different species) and subsequent locking down too soon, but that may be just as fatal because it hasn't been turned for the past five days.

Should I attempt to turn it or anything, or just continue to leave it?

Five days since first lock down, still no movement or change at all...
sad.png
I've got my hopes on slow development (or a different species) and subsequent locking down too soon, but that may be just as fatal because it hasn't been turned for the past five days.

Should I attempt to turn it or anything, or just continue to leave it?
if it lays on its side it should roll to its natural position.

the aussie wood duck has a varied hatch rate so dont be alarmed. You also have an incubator that has been running on the low side a bit so be prepared for a delay of one to two days. If it has not pipped, you can open the bator and recandle, no problem

good luck

Ahhh okay, thank you very much!

Just now I went and managed to shine my torch through the egg without moving it from the incubator; the air cell looks fairly large and is on a steep angle, and there is quite a lot of shadowing on the far side of the egg/air cell (the part facing down towards the towel) and a strong bumpy movement there. Maybe that means it is trying to break through into the air cell? I hope so!

I am trying not to get too anxious because of the low temperatures, I just hope it pips at least internally in the next day or so! I'm very happy to at least see that there is movement inside in the shadowed area.

Back
Top Bottom