New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

Good morning everyone
caf.gif
I haven't read through the whole thread, someone asked me to check in quick.

It looks like it may be a duck, so I'll take this as a duckling hatch. Like chicks ducklings pip externally before they absorb the major blood vessels in the membrane and the yolk sac. You can candle and check to see what's going on in there. I see you have a nice light coloured egg, so it makes thing a lot easier! Candle and look just below the line of the air sac for blood vessels and just below the lowest point of the air sac line for the yolk sac. It looks like a dense mass. As the yolk sac gets absorbed you should be able to see a "void" appear. They need ± 24 hours to complete this absorption process, but it could be longer. (Oz, you say it's been 13 hours since external pip?) I'd suggest wait and candle again every 3-4 hours and check on it's progress. If you can post candling pics so we can have a look too that will be great. Once the yolk has been absorbed and the blood vessels retracted it can take the duckling another 7-8 hours to zip and complete the hatch.

What you can do in the meantime is open the pip hole just enough so the duckling (if that's what it is) can breathe easy.

Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by! This thread exploded with posts all of a sudden today, I'm really grateful for everyone's support and for sharing their knowledge. It's so nice to know that there are people around with a lot of experience willing to share it and care about this little eggie!

I am really trying just to leave the egg alone. I don't want to have to do anything artificial unless I need to although I've read all the artificial guides about sixty times now I think, hahaha. I am so so scared of doing something wrong, but I have some sterile packed needle tips which are hospital grade; perhaps if i need to do anything those will be my safest option.

I had a look through again with my torch, unfortunately I'm not sure if my photos would really be any good because my strongest smallest candling torch is my phone flash which is bulky... BUT I looked for what you specified and saw something which looked quite similar to this image (from the Goose Incubation and Hatching Guide):

80310_graphic-yolksac2.jpg

Most specifically I could see the "yellow" colour there which surprised me very much because so far everything I have seen has been red or dark shadows! I hadn't candled in that direction and so I'd never seen it, I've been focusing on just looking for the movement in the aircell that I didn't look for this specifically. I think the yellow section was smaller than in the image on the goose hatching guide, but I could definitely see yellowness. I wasn't so good at spotting any membranes because I didn't want to move the egg and couldn't angle my phonetorch at any better positions.

There has been no change in the pip size or shape or any more rocking that I have seen, or peeping or chipping that I have heard, but when candled I can see a lot of movement inside. I hope the movement means that its airhole is indeed big enough through the little cracks or the pin-sized hole in between them.

Super anxious excited!

Also I would say at the time of my making this post it has been 17 hours since the external pip, and at least 36 since internal (although could be more as it was during the night).

I'm still here, nearly 8pm here.

I will be checking in a couple more times before bed.....just to see.

So, might be goose? Bigger than a chicken with a 'beaky bill' lol

Good luck, I am sure by tomorrow it will all be known. Hope you have a brooder sorted!

I'm in the Queensland area, so it's only 5:30pm here right now. How are your pipped eggs doing?

I've decided to collect the materials in case I need to assist, but I'd rather hold off until really necessary. It sounds like it's doing good in the experience of others, so that's enough for me. Thank you so much :')
I've been to Queensland!! My daughter went to the University of the Sunshine Coast and interned at the Australia Zoo with Steve Irwin for 6 months! Lovely place!

The Australian Wood Duck is sometimes called a "Maned Goose", and I have seen the ducklings sometimes called goslings! So I think they are sort of somewhere in the middle? They are dabbling ducks. But, the incubation period when I researched seemed to hint at the standard 28 days for ducks although this little biddy one is taking an extra while over! Just so long as it's healthy and happy, I don't mind.
fl.gif

Super exciting to see other Australians! I've never been to Perth yet, but I know the Sunshine Coast and the Australia zoo! That sounds like it would have been a wonderful opportunity for your daughter Flowerbh!

As for eggie, stilllll nooooo updaaaaaateeeee
th.gif
Apart from the one before when I candled, there's been no change. No rocking, peeping or change in the pip and I have not intervened at all except to stare at the egg very intently (and hopefully encouragingly!) through the incubator, haha
caf.gif

I feel for you! This is the hardest part of incubating eggs. But the outcome makes it SO worth it! I think the expression 'it hurts so good' is quite apt for these situations. Going to cross my toes now for extra good luck for ya!

I've been here since the beginning of this adventure and am sitting on pins and needles, patiently waiting and hoping for a positive outcome.
jumpy.gif

I don't recall ever having a hatch like this here. One where we had no idea what to expect. And on Easter Sunday too!
Hatching is very exiting and nerve wrecking! I'm hatching some Pekin eggs at the moment. I have 4 pips and 2 are malpositioned. One pipped just below the air sac and the other in the narrow end, complete opposite side from the air sac. I've no idea how it managed that! LOL Both are doing o.k. though. Going on 24 hours since external pip, so I'm waiting to see if they'll manage to zip and take it from there. I'm in no rush though. One thing I learned from assisting is that you cannot undo what you've done, so it's better to wait and wait and wait some more before you intervene. The chick/duckling was in that egg for weeks, so a few more hours won't hurt.
No two hatches are the same so I time intervention according to the average time a normal hatch takes, i.e. a chick can take up to 30 hours from internal pip to completing the hatch, so 30 hours after internal pip is a fairly good time to start thinking about helping. Before then it's risky. With ducklings we're looking at 72 hours, so before that time is up I'm don't fiddle unless the chick is in distress. Always give the chick as much time as is within reason to hatch by itself.

Back
Top Bottom