New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

GAH!!!! Ok, you MUST lift just a teeny corner of the pipped shell so you can KNOW it has air. Then mist it once with a spray bottle of water and return to hand-sitting.

Yes, this is enough that I couldn't lurk any longer without speaking up...best of luck, and hope it goes well. I'll be back in about 2 hours. Wish I could come help!!

Alright! Thank you so much, a definite of going ahead and doing it is a bit more comforting. I am just organizing my tools now that I might need: I have sterile needles from the hospital, a regular q-tip cotton bud, and hand sterilized with metholated spirits and water: a regular thin pin and two pairs of tweezers (one is small and precise but pointy and the other is flat, but larger).

I also have some sterilized water from the hospital (I gave my dad in house paliative care two years ago, so I have a lot of left over medical supplies) without saline, so that might be good to use if I need to moisten the membrane I thought.

Re misting, should I mist the egg directly, or just use the q-tip? I can bump the humidity in my little tank up to 90% easily and momentarily if needed (native humidity here in Australia is about 70% today) Inside the tank it's currently sitting on about 83% at the moment because I removed the dish full of water (drowning risk overnight, I thought) and replaced it with a paper towel instead, so I'm trying to re-stablise it.

I'll start cleaning myself up to get ready to lift the pip open a bit. ahhhh. Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm very scared but I hope I can help this egg!
fl.gif

I haven't posted on this thread yet but I have read the whole thing... the suspense is killing me!

Good luck and let us know how everything goes!

Alright! Thank you so much, a definite of going ahead and doing it is a bit more comforting. I am just organizing my tools now that I might need: I have sterile needles from the hospital, a regular q-tip cotton bud, and hand sterilized with metholated spirits and water: a regular thin pin and two pairs of tweezers (one is small and precise but pointy and the other is flat, but larger).

I also have some sterilized water from the hospital (I gave my dad in house paliative care two years ago, so I have a lot of left over medical supplies) without saline, so that might be good to use if I need to moisten the membrane I thought.

Re misting, should I mist the egg directly, or just use the q-tip? I can bump the humidity in my little tank up to 90% easily and momentarily if needed (native humidity here in Australia is about 70% today) Inside the tank it's currently sitting on about 83% at the moment because I removed the dish full of water (drowning risk overnight, I thought) and replaced it with a paper towel instead, so I'm trying to re-stablise it.

I'll start cleaning myself up to get ready to lift the pip open a bit. ahhhh. Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm very scared but I hope I can help this egg!
fl.gif

If the humidity is already that high, and if it won't fall too low after opening, you probably don't need to mist. If the membrane looks dry (which I doubt it will), I would use the q-tip...

Just wanted to update to say I haven't yet gone in there with the tools-- I candled it quickly to have a look and see where the bill might be so as to make sure it wasn't near the pip and I wouldn't get it, and there is now a long thing crack spreading out from the pip that was not there before without any assistance.

Baby visibly wriggling and hammering away inside in there, but I am going to check the pip air-hole anyway just in case as there is still no peeping or vocal response from baby inside.

Just wanted to update to say I haven't yet gone in there with the tools-- I candled it quickly to have a look and see where the bill might be so as to make sure it wasn't near the pip and I wouldn't get it, and there is now a long thing crack spreading out from the pip that was not there before without any assistance.

Baby visibly wriggling and hammering away inside in there, but I am going to check the pip air-hole anyway just in case as there is still no peeping or vocal response from baby inside.

If there is a new crack I would probably leave it. Sounds like it's getting ready to zip. Opening the pip won't hurt it, but if the pip is progessing I would think it's ok.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom