New Autumn Treat!

chickiebaby

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
western mass
Anyone else have one of those apple peelers that cores and slices? You know, the excellent granny kind that clips on the table where you turn a handle to process apples? My kids have all adored it, but I just made a new discovery:

The long strands of peels are chicken delights beyond measure. They eat them and of course the long skinny peels act just like worms.

Awesome free fun alert!

I haven't tried the peels and I've been peeling apples like crazy the last few days. As a matter of fact, I just threw out a bunch this morning after peeling some more apples to go into the dehydrator. I'll have to scavenge them and go throw them to the chickens! Thanks for that idea!
smile.png

My grandmother always fed her peelins' to the chickens and not only from apples but potatoes too. As I recall they loved veggies of all kinds so if you have some broccoli or cauliflower that might be a little older than you would like it to be, well, there ya go!
Even wilted lettuce and cabbage......

big_smile.png

I've been feeding the apple pealings to the cattle, it's funny, it's like their eating spaghetti. My chicken are getting the left over cooked squash and pumpkin, their faces are covered with orange little chunks when they dive into it and splatter it around. So need to get a picture oh it.

This peeler makes the apple peel come off in one long, skinny piece, so its like they're romantically eating linguine. Reminds me of the ridiculous scene from Lady and the Tramp, which I haven't seen in years. . .

We carved pumpkins yesterday and I scooped out all the guts and seeds and put them in some bowls, I have never seen my chickens go so nuts over anything.
I put out treats all the time and they turn their beaks up at everything , sunflower seeds, yougurt, you name it they don't want it.
I hear about everyone's chickens loving treats so I think, what is wrong with mine.
So far the only thing they will eat is bananas.
So I figure I will try this anyway, and I finally hit the jackpot.
The pumpkin seeds are a natural dewormer too.
They couldn't get enough of the stuff.
I am making apple cobbler today, so I will try the apple peels.
Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
Our neighbor has an apple orchard, so I'm up to my ears in apples. I've been feeding the chickens and the turkey my apple scraps and they love them.
I really want one of those peelers that attach to the table, my grandfather has one. It's awesome.
big_smile.png

I have one of those peelers! I will tell my dad to give him the scraps to the chickens too. Great idea!
big_smile.png

We also give our chickens many other left overs, too. Here's an idea:
If you have spaghetti for dinner one night, and there's lots of leftovers that no one wants to eat, give it to the chickens! They LOVE spaghetti! Ours go crazy, and they always have sauce all over their faces when they finish. It's soo funny.I wish I had a picture....
tongue.png

They also love all sorts of veggies!
And another favorite is bread and donuts!
big_smile.png
Whenever we have spoiled bread,(or the annoying heal of the bread that no one wants to eat) we feed it to the chickens and they love it!
smile.png
And if we have any stale or spoiled donuts, we give those to the chickens, too. They seem to like the white powdered donuts.... LOL
lau.gif

I have heard that potato peels are a particular no-no to feed to chickens, because potatos are in the nightshade family.

I've also read that feeding apple peels could cause a laying hen to stop laying! I'm new to chickens, so I dont know why that would be true, except that if the hens eat a lot of peels, they are not eating as much of their laying feed, which has the higher protein that they need to lay eggs. Anyone know anything about this? Cause I will have a lot of apple peels from making sauce this fall, which I would feed to my girls if I thought it was ok for them.

Back
Top Bottom