New hens in quarantine but displaying symptoms, not sure how to proceed

Kiiarah

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Red Star hen, approx 5 months old, have not gotten weight yet but she does not feel thin or excessively light.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Some sneezing and what sounds like coughing. Occasional mucousy short gurgle. No gasping or gaping as of yet, and no discharge from eyes or nose. No swelling present in face. This bird also has small white rectangles in feces, which write and sort of pulsate. I suspect tapeworm on that one, but am not sure what the respiratory issue could be as the standard discharge and facial swelling that comes with most of the illnesses is not presenting.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Unsure, we brought them home from a farm last night. We did not notice sneezing or coughing prior to them arriving home, so possibly something was inhaled in the attempt to capture and box them. I don't want to assume, delay treatment, and have anything worsen, so hoping to find out on that one whether it is possible to have a respiratory infection with no discharge or gapeworm with no gaping. There is also no open beak breathing or labored breathing.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not at this time from what we can tell, but 2 other hens are in quarantine with her as they came from the same flock at the same time.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No: Feathers, nose, feet, and eyes are all clear and seem in good condition. Visually all birds look to be in good health.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. The birds were being kept at an inappropriate density, owner relayed that some birds were there as temporary housing while an additional coop is being constructed. In addition to this the housing they are in recently flooded due to heavy rain and flies were very thick in the area. They were housed on farmland that also has goats, sheep, horses, dogs, and cats. I can only assume she ate an infected fly to get the worms. Some of the flock had eyes that did not look healthy (partially shut or misshapen lids), but owner stated they had been pecked. I noted one bird in the flock of 60+ that had a single bubble at the nostril. Noted that waterers were filthy, and am unsure if that was due to poop in the tray, dirt, or a mix of both. Also unsure how often their water was changed or coop cleaned. The woman clearly adores her flock, but seems to have gotten in a bit over her head and wound up with too many in one area to maintain well, so signs of pecking and feather loss were present on some of the flock.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes both eating and drinking

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Fairly normal, except for the presence of the worms, possibly slightly soft but not foamy, bubbly, or runny. Image attached. I have a video showing the movement but do not see a way to upload it.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet, we plan to get Zimecterin Gold to address the suspected tapeworm, but would like input on whether that is the best course of action and what should be done about the strange breathing, or whether it should be monitored longer. Also would like to know if any other blanket treatments are recommended for new birds from a flock that was not kept pristine. (e.g. dusting to ensure no external parasites, providing probiotics, bathing, etc) A general list of cautionary steps and treatments to provide with new birds would be great since this is the first time we have brought any in to add to the flock and I want to be sure nothing is overlooked.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I believe we can treat on our own, and want to provide the right treatment to the other two birds that are not showing symptoms yet, as they have definitely been exposed, to ensure they are able to eventually integrate into our flock.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Currently they are in a chicken wire enclosed cage utilizing a kitchen table frame. They are on a tarp at the moment and we will be putting together something with a better design and actual bedding today. Open to recommendations as far as bedding. They were on dirt and some hay at the prior residence. We need something that will not harbor tapeworm eggs during the course of treatment, so please let me know if the tarp would actually be best due to ease of cleaning, or if something like river sand would be alright. I am concerned about them getting filthy walking through poop on the tarp since they are confined.

Thank you so much for any input you can provide. We really want to rehab these girls since they do seem healthy in all other areas and I believe they could have an excellent outcome, but we have to be sure we are not letting a typhoid henrietta into the flock. I should note that we knew it was going to be a tricky task taking on birds from an existing flock to incorporate, and fully expected to have to do some treatment. This woman socializes her hens and they are similar in age to our girls. We already had to build a second coop because we made the mistake of starting with 6 unsexed chicks and wound up with four roosters we now feel obligated to care for and protect. We would not be able to deal with another unexpected roo, and finding birds for sale and old enough to be definite hens seems impossible without having to go through this process. Our flock of 2 girls are happy for now but if we lost one it would not be a healthy situation for the one remaining and I worry about warmth in the winter with only 2. We are hoping we can move some mountains and give both the new birds and our girls a fuller and happier life by the end of it.

Attachments

• 238830249_519126182482567_8259844786838542806_n.jpg
    238830249_519126182482567_8259844786838542806_n.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 27
My rooster gargles and sort of raspy coughs when he is feeling very stressed. Maybe you are lucky and she is only stressed keep a very strict quarantine. Open her mouth and look at the roof for discharge.

safeguard for goats can be used in chickens to deworm as well as ivermectin. Spraying or dusting her in permethrin for any lice or such is a good idea.

You are on the right track with using Praziquantel (Zimectrin Gold) for treating the Tapeworms.
Neither Safeguard nor Ivermectrin are going to treat Tapeworms. Safeguard is great for treating most worms that poultry can have excluding Tapeworm. Ivermectin is still good for treating lice/mites and maybe roundworms.

Do look them all over for lice/mites - it probably wouldn't hurt to dust them.

The more concerning aspect it the coughing/sneezing. Can you get a video of that behavior?
How often is she coughing/sneezing?

Do check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight - POSSIBLE if the crop is not emptying this could cause some respiratory symptoms.

The concern is that you would be introducing respiratory illness to your existing flock by bringing in new birds - there's always that risk.
A lot of respiratory diseases present when a bird is stressed. Most make birds carriers for life. Any birds exposed regardless if they become symptomatic or not are considered carriers.

Praziquantel dosing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rms-under-construction.1220309/#post-19519143

You are on the right track with using Praziquantel (Zimectrin Gold) for treating the Tapeworms.
Neither Safeguard nor Ivermectrin are going to treat Tapeworms. Safeguard is great for treating most worms that poultry can have excluding Tapeworm. Ivermectin is still good for treating lice/mites and maybe roundworms.

Do look them all over for lice/mites - it probably wouldn't hurt to dust them.

The more concerning aspect it the coughing/sneezing. Can you get a video of that behavior?
How often is she coughing/sneezing?

Do check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight - POSSIBLE if the crop is not emptying this could cause some respiratory symptoms.

The concern is that you would be introducing respiratory illness to your existing flock by bringing in new birds - there's always that risk.
A lot of respiratory diseases present when a bird is stressed. Most make birds carriers for life. Any birds exposed regardless if they become symptomatic or not are considered carriers.

Praziquantel dosing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rms-under-construction.1220309/#post-19519143
Thank you, great to know the Praziquantel is the right method. I figure the one I am getting would address other worms like gapeworm if present, so might as well hit that too. No missing leg scales or feather damage, but I do think I want to dust them in case something was just getting going. The sneezing and coughing is better today, still had one sound in between a cough and sneeze but that is all I heard and I was out there for 30 minutes or so. It was very consistent after arriving home last night, so it seems to have lessened. She is still eating and drinking and even scratched around on the tarp a bit. The respiratory disease carrier issue is a concern. We bought two new birds that have had their mareks vaccine and one that has had none, she will act as the canary during quarantine. We are trying to do everything reasonable to identify any potential carriers, but in order to ensure we get hens we couldn't really think of a way to bring any birds in without that risk. Leaving them as just a two bird flock to avoid that danger just seemed unfair. Especially since we would be guaranteed to have only one left at some point in the future if we go that route. We feel that the risk of having to treat for something that comes in is worth doing what we can to get them up to a better flock size for the long term, but still want to do everything possible to avoid any illness spreading. I just hope we are doing the right thing, but the the two we have seem more anxious as just a duo than they were when they were with the 4 boys, they seem to know they are thinned out and feel more vulnerable. So the main goal is to make sure the social structure is as close to natural as possible moving forward.

Praziquantel doesn't treat Gapeworm:)

I hope all goes well for you.
The version of medical paste we got does also have Ivermectin. The chart I pulled up shows that medication (the Ivermectin) is effective for gape worm. Let me know though if that is incorrect, I am new to all this and want to plan ahead if we might want something different on hand in case of gape worm. I figured since it has both, the Pranz would address the confirmed tape worm and the added Ivermectin may knock a few other things if present, though it is a lower concentration for that part so not sure if it would be a high enough quantity to be effective.

Just an update and a couple more questions. The girls got a foot bath and got placed in their more adequate quarantine coop with sand bedding last night. Trying to minimize stress, so we didn't do a whole inspection for the less worrisome things last night, but will this evening. We did check for bumblefoot and saw no signs of that, so that is one less thing to worry about. They were given their Zimectrin Gold doses (which they HATED). We tried snipping the wide end of a sunflower seed shell and hiding it in there after removing the seed, since apparently these hens have no interest in bread. Unfortunately nobody wanted to just pick it up and swallow it, they all cracked it open first, caught us red handed and refused it lol. So we used a gloved finger to wipe the gel in along the edge of their open beak and they all reluctantly swallowed it. We did the BB size amount since these girls are only about 4-5 months old. One girl (the 4 month old one) did feel like her crop was a bit mushy for a moment there, but when I had my husband hold her so I could get a better feel, it felt like just thick feathers. I am not sure at this point if there is an issue there or not. We did remove their food for a few hours before administering the medication, so I know her crop would not have been full, it may have just been that the feathers and empty crop felt unfamiliar to me and I misinterpreted.

One thing I have had no luck finding any information on is how to prevent them from eating new eggs since they are passing them in their stool, which they of course have access to peck. I caught one of them pecking a white speck in a poop yesterday because...well, chickens. Of course, no insects will be able to eat the eggs but how do you stop the chickens from eating them or is that not a concern? It seems like bedding would need to be changed out every 30 minutes or more to prevent the risk of eggs being consumed. I am hoping I am missing something here regarding how that part works. If they ate eggs after the last treatment wouldn't that just mean a new infestation takes hold, or will the second treatment deal with any eggs they ate by killing new worms before they have a chance to mature to the point that they are shedding segments?

Thanks again guys, these girls deserve a healthy life and I am really hopeful we can get them there.

They were given their Zimectrin Gold doses (which they HATED). We tried snipping the wide end of a sunflower seed shell and hiding it in there after removing the seed, since apparently these hens have no interest in bread. Unfortunately nobody wanted to just pick it up and swallow it, they all cracked it open first, caught us red handed and refused it lol.
We did the BB size amount since these girls are only about 4-5 months old.
  • Thank you, great to know the Praziquantel is the right method. I figure the one I am getting would address other worms like gapeworm if present,

Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rms-under-construction.1220309/#post-19519143

It would be good to get a weight on them so you can give as correct a dose as possible. Equimax dose is relatively small, so "BB" size may be right(?) but who knows unless you draw it up into a syringe and measure.

You can direct oral dose them as show in this link. I've never had luck with birds eating foods with medication on it - they are wise to it for sure.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

The Ivermectin in the Equimax *might* treat roundworms, but it will not treat Gapeworm.

Second dose *should* take care of any eggs that hatch. You may need to follow up again in another couple of months. Scoop poop once a day.

Back
Top Bottom