Do you see any drainage from the nostrils, watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing more than occasionally, or wheezing? How is the ventilation in your coop, and is there any excessive dust or any mold? Gasping and gaping can be seen in a struggling chicken, if overheated, or when close to death. Gapeworm cannot be see, since it is inside the trachea/windpipe, and it is fairly rare. But SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste can treat gape and other worms at a dosage of 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days. I would look for any yellow material inside the beak.
With yellow, were you checking for canker?

I have a chicken that was almost gasping for air last night for around 10 minutes. I brought her inside, she ate a scrambled egg and seemed to be okay after that. I am worried that it’s a respiratory infection, I looked down her throat and could not see any worms. Unsure of what to do and what to treat my flock with if it is contagious. She is separated from everyone else at the moment and will be that way until we figure out what’s up.

I gave her vetrx and also rubbed it on everyone else last night. Unsure if there’s anything I should put in their water to help treat anything or if I will end up having to cull everyone (this is my last resort, these birds are more pets to me than anything else). Also my chicken that was gaping hasn’t done it again that I’ve heard, I gave her water with some ACV and food in her own space, she has pooped and it looks normal.

Can anyone tell me what I should treat my flock with to eliminate the respiratory? There have been no new additions to my flock, we recently started getting some cold snaps overnight in my area as summer goes away and it has been wet and rainy. Could this have caused anything? I also have ducks, so I would be treating them too. I haven’t noticed any other signs from other chickens.
first of all a video will be helpful

please don’t give ACV in respiratory issue it makes the phlegm go up and cause more sore throat .
i recently treat a severe respiratory illness with Azithromycin & Doxycycline successfully

Back
Top Bottom