New Aviary

DuckDodgers

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
I am in the process of designing a new aviary for my wood duck pair. I am not quite sure the final size yet but I do know it will be at-least 7ft x 8ft (hopefully bigger but still not sure), it will have a 3ft diameter kiddie pool dug into the ground in the middle. I would also like to add a pair of red golden pheasants with them. So my question is what are some good plants to add in there to make them feel more at home and have something to hide in? Also and other features that I should add please let me know. ( I already have some perches make from wooden logs)

Thanks!

nestboxes? Not sure if Wood Ducks and Pheasants can co-habitate peaceably. I am not experienced there...hopefully someone else knows about that...

nestboxes? Not sure if Wood Ducks and Pheasants can co-habitate peaceably. I am not experienced there...hopefully someone else knows about that...

Yes I have 3 for her to choose from. As for the Co-habitat I think somebody said it should work out. If that is incorrect then it would be no pheasants for me ..... please correct me if I'm wrong though

I raise peafowl so I don't raise ducks or red goldens, but recently I wrote an article about landscaping an aviary. From my experience with peafowl, the thicker leafed plants and the taller plants do the best. Ornamental grasses generally get trampled.

Here is the article I recently finished: http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Landscaping Your Aviary.html

Clumping bamboo grows fast to provide wonderful shade in a short amount of time. Fatsias are very nice looking plants too. Generally something that won't die back down to the ground in the winter is a big plus.

I have seen aviaries online for ducks that were heavily landscaped so I know it is possible for ducks, and for red goldens too.

I hope this helps! Checking with your local plant nurseries can help you find good tough plants for your area and research plants that are from the birds native habitat and try and find those plants, or find ones similar to that.

I grow watercress from seed in terra cotta pots sunk a little bit into the side of the pond. Good harvest in the last few years, but what the heck, if the critters want it they can help themselves. But honestly there's nothing easier than tossing in a romaine lettuce every morning.

I raise peafowl so I don't raise ducks or red goldens, but recently I wrote an article about landscaping an aviary. From my experience with peafowl, the thicker leafed plants and the taller plants do the best. Ornamental grasses generally get trampled.

Here is the article I recently finished: http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Landscaping Your Aviary.html

Clumping bamboo grows fast to provide wonderful shade in a short amount of time. Fatsias are very nice looking plants too. Generally something that won't die back down to the ground in the winter is a big plus.

I have seen aviaries online for ducks that were heavily landscaped so I know it is possible for ducks, and for red goldens too.

I hope this helps! Checking with your local plant nurseries can help you find good tough plants for your area and research plants that are from the birds native habitat and try and find those plants, or find ones similar to that.

Great information! thanks

Yes the red goldens and ducks will coexist without any issue. The pen is on the smaller side... A red golden male can easily stress out a hen with their constant chasing. If she does not have places to hide he could kill her. But that is more of a worst case scenario.

Yes the red goldens and ducks will coexist without any issue. The pen is on the smaller side... A red golden male can easily stress out a hen with their constant chasing. If she does not have places to hide he could kill her. But that is more of a worst case scenario.

What size do you recommend? 8ft x10ft?

10ft x 20ft would be the best. The bigger the better. Because if you want more birds eventually, wouldn't you want a bigger pen? Even if you do not go that big, make sure there a lot of hiding places and perches. Trust me, a big pen is nice to have with ducks. The bigger the cage, the more enjoyable it is to watch them fly without crashing into the fence, which still does happen.

Back
Top Bottom