New AZ member

Adelicia

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Hi,

I'm new to the group. While I helped raise chickens when I was a kid, I know I have forgotten a lot. Also, I'm in the greater Phoenix, AZ area and it is a lot different from raising them in Montana!

I'd love to get pointers on how to raise chicks in an area that gets this hot. Our chicks will be free range on a nearly acre lot. My wonderful neighbor is giving us their coop when they move so that part is covered. We will have the fence up soon and I would like to learn about what else we should get ready before we get chicks. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

welcome-byc.gif
go to "where am I, where are you." a tab in the social forum. Once there locate and post on the Arizona thread and see how others manage the climate. I know one person that air conditioned his coop.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! I used to keep chickens in an extremely hot climate and what I found helped is hosing down a section or their run daily so they had muddy puddles to cool their feet in, making sure they had plenty shady spots to hang out in and of course, lots of cool water to drink.

free ranging is tough ,i have 40 free range chickens and a great pyraneese dog NO PROBLEMS WITH PREDATORS ON THE GROUND OR IN THE AIR peace wv leipers

Back
Top Bottom