New babies and an emergency question...

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
I have been removing the babies from the nest as they hatch. I am planning on leaving a few with the mom to raise, but want to keep the majority in a brooder for safety. So far I've got about 12, not sure on the colors, yet. Most look like pearls, but some have no stripes on the back, or are mottled on their back. No idea what that is going to end up like!
wink.png

One hatched out, and I think the mom accidentally stepped on it. It has herniated not only a little bit of the remaining yolk sac, but what looks like an organ of some kind. I can't tell what it is.
sad.png
I rinsed it off, and it is laying with a damp towel on its abdomen. It seems weak but alert. I don't know if it is going to make it, or not. I tried to gently ease it back inside but it wouldn't budge. I don't have it separated right now, because they all just hatched, so they aren't running all over it. I thought it would stress it out too much to separate it.

Any other ideas? I hope it makes it, but it doesn't look good.
sad.png

Shelly

I'm not sure if you meant to say that you do or don't have it separated, but if you're looking for a way to seperate it yet keep it with its hatchmates, you can always put it in a small bowl or cup of some sort. That may help keep them from trampling all over it. I hope it pulls through

If it is what I think it is it will not make it. Sometimes they hatch with the intestines outside of the body due to a defect. A pic would help with identification. Some times the umbilical cord will still be there.

I think I'm just going to put it down. It seems to be winding down and my 11 yo wants me to. He just went outside so he wouldn't have to watch it. I think it freaked him out.
sad.png
I don't know what the organ is, and there is maybe some intestines. Looks like the yolk has absorbed.

Poor thing
sad.png

Thanks,

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom