New babies...help with breed?

Mom24moores

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016
Ohio
Got these two from the leftover bin. But I have no idea what they are. Their legs are grayish and Un feathered. Any ideas?

I was thinking that as well... I read they don't do well in the cold and I live in the snowbelt! Any chance it will be ok?

I was thinking that as well... I read they don't do well in the cold and I live in the snowbelt! Any chance it will be ok?
How cold does it get there? (That's more important than how much snow, in my opinion). If your chickens are kept in a draft-free, weill ventilated coop they should be OK. Your Polish should acclimate to the weather as it starts getting coler. I live in MN and we've had Polish several times. They always survived the winter in their unheated coops.

It doesn't get below 0 too often. Usually in the teens or 20's most of the winter. I used thick wood siding to build the coop. I'm still working on the ventilation. Right now 2 windows and the door are fine, but in the winter I plan on covering the windows. The coop will be pretty full as well, so their body heat should make it nice and toasty! I was more worried about during the day when they are outside. Good to know that yours have survived!

They should be fine, then. They may choose to be inside more during the winter. Just about every chicken I have had has hated snow. They refuse to walk in it! Is your coop big enough that your chickens won't be over crowded if they stay in? I keep my windows open in the winter by tipping them in an inch or so at the top. That helps with ventilation without too much draft.

I'll let you all know when they get older! Thanks for the feedback! Water and food are outside the coop...so they will have to come out....but the coop is up off the ground a couple feet and run will be covered in places. So I'm hoping for some snow free zones!

Back
Top Bottom