New babies with adult hens

Aqwifey

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
Hi I have 5 new chicks all are about 9-10 weeks now I have had them in a pen next to my 9 ( now 7) year old hens since they was 5 weeks old. I have let them be together during the day for a few hours while supervised but keep separated at night. I have 4 hens from my first flock that will peck and kinda go after the babies.

I know that they will have to figure out the order and I havent seen any blood.

My question is do I just let the younger ones and the older ones be with the door open between or do I keep them separate for longer?

It’s dine to let them mingle all the time. Just check on them occasionally to ensure nobody is getting beat up. There will be flock negotiations at roost time, try not to get involved. It can be hard sometimes!

It’s dine to let them mingle all the time. Just check on them occasionally to ensure nobody is getting beat up. There will be flock negotiations at roost time, try not to get involved. It can be hard sometimes!
Well I have the 2 coops for now til they are fully integrated then ima move the small coop out of the run to help open it up more for space. Just wasn’t sure if I should let them be together full time or wait longer. Yes I do know they need to work it out and will be some scuffles. This is my first time introducing new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom