New babies with others

NNYchick

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 15, 2017
Harrisville, NY
i got 4 Silkie last week (9 weeks old)and today I got 2 more (11weeks and 13 weeks). The new ones even though older are a lot smaller like half the size as I believe they are a far better quality than the newest. The 9 week chicks are pecking at the newbies and one picked the littlest up by its head feathers. I have put up a divider in the run and put the 9 weeks in there. I really don't want to put the 6 together in the coop for the night for fear someone will get really hurt. How long will it take for them to get use to each other.

i got 4 Silkie last week (9 weeks old)and today I got 2 more (11weeks and 13 weeks). The new ones even though older are a lot smaller like half the size as I believe they are a far better quality than the newest. The 9 week chicks are pecking at the newbies and one picked the littlest up by its head feathers. I have put up a divider in the run and put the 9 weeks in there. I really don't want to put the 6 together in the coop for the night for fear someone will get really hurt. How long will it take for them to get use to each other.
Oh and I usually lock them in the coop at night.

I did put them both in separate predator proof set ups tonight. Do you know how long it might take to get them use to each other?

Every flock is different. Every bird is different. In my flock, the gal at the bottom of my adult pecking order seems to be hanging out with the 10 week old pullets more often. So, it all depends! I do think it is very helpful if you can let your flock free range together.

I think the 9 week olds I got last week were still trying to sort things out. I'm concerned that many of them maybe Roos as it's too early to tell, but I have noticed quite a bit of strutting, wing flapping, and chest bumping. I know the 13 week old is a roo even with my inexperienced eyes he has long hackles and short puff and walks like a roo, but they don't go after him as much as the little 11 week old. The breeder couldn't tell for sure she believed it was more hen like but just not sure like the older one. He is half their size and "she" is about a quarter of their size.
I did plan on free roaming tomorrow as it's going to be nice out and I have gardening to do and can be out there. I have not free roamed yet as the ones I've had this week are very skiddish and I'm worried about not being able to get them back in the run. The ones I got today don't run away and let you pick them up with no problems.

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, tho some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Back
Top Bottom