New babies with pics!!! Questions about pine shavings....

jaimepowell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Wellsville
We got our new babies yesterday from Orschlens!!!!

1 Black Sex Link
1 New Hampshire Red
1 Rhode Island Red
5 Assorted Pullet Layers
2 Assorted Bantams

My Rhode Island “Orangey” as the kids call her already has some wing feathers so I’m guessing she is older than the others. I put some cedar shavings in their tub this am and my littlest bantam looked like he was trying to eat it. I read a couple other posts that say around 4 days they can usually handle the shavings and not eat them. He is the only one I noticed and I can’t tell if he is eating it or playing in it. All the others seem to love it—they play chase and scratch in it—so cute to watch! I was paranoid for my little guy and put the paper towels back down this morning—should I leave them on the paper towels for a couple more days?

I put some cedar shavings in their tub...

...should I leave them on the paper towels for a couple more days?

I assume you meant pine shavings since that is the title of the post.

I wouldn't worry about them eating the shavings, but if you would rather be safe than sorry...be safe :)

Though the "four days" they won't eat shavings thing sounds strange to me. I never used paper towels and they always just played with the shavings, never really ate it.

My 3 week olds have been on pine shavings since the day I got them. I suspect they ate some, but they eat EVERYTHING they get their little beaks on. I have also provided grit (NOT oyster shells) and they have been eating that since I set it in their brooder. Whatever they ate seems to have done them no harm, but I definitely would provide grit if you think they are eating any of the shavings. Maybe someone with more experience has a different answer tho.

BTW I HOPE you meant pine shavings as cedar is NOT good for chickens. I believe the operative word is POISON.

Last edited:
Yes PINE--oops!! Thanks for the advice! I added shavings which is keeping the house smelling a little better and the husband a little happier!

Back
Top Bottom