new babies?

nhchickmom

Songster
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Thornton, NH
We have two RI Reds that tend to be aggressive towards new birds. We are thinking of adding two 9 week old sex-links to their coop. Is this a bad idea? I am wondering if they are to young.......?
hmm.png

what i would do is put them in and see what happens. the RIRs are probably being aggressive to show they are the alpha. they may start being aggressive to show this, but you may not want to take them out unless they get REALLY aggressive, because it has to happen sooner or later. when we got our newest chicken, my other chicken was pecking and chasing her, but now they are best buds.
big_smile.png

hope i helped! (i have a sexlink. aren't they the cutest and nicest?
love.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Put them in a cage inside the coop, so they can get used to each other through the wire for a while. A couple of weeks, and then let them out for a little while and see how they do together.

My hatchery RIR's were bullies to everyone, and picked out everyone's tails before they were even 16 weeks old. They found a new home. Hope yours are nicer.

Ditto, Jossanne. I had the same experience with RIR. I also put new birds in an inside cage before I let them mix for real.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. In general how do you suggest introducing the new chickens. We can also introduce one year olds to the current girls. I have read that putting them in at night helps. We do not have the ability to have two separate coops. Should we just put them in at night when it is dark and let them work it out or keep them in their cage for a day or two? Any suggestions? Also it is winter here so they are all stuck in the coop together.

Back
Top Bottom