What age do I integrate my new chicks to my current flock?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I have 5 pullets that are 25 weeks old. In my brooder I have 4 babies that are just about 2 weeks old. I plan to do see/don't touch for a while on nice days, but wondering how old the new girls need to be before I attempt to fully integrate them. They are all contained in a run, so no free ranging. We will be expanding our current run to accommodate all the new birds.

I had my babies in a see and no touch setting from since they were 5 weeks until around 12 weeks. In that time I allowed the chicks out and explore the big girls area if they wanted. Multiple times I had to separate them due to the big girls being jerks. I also had to add more sticks for the babies to jump up onto to get away. The hens stopped being jerks after the chicks were 17 or so weeks old. It really depends on your birds honestly.

I had my babies in a see and no touch setting from since they were 5 weeks until around 12 weeks. In that time I allowed the chicks out and explore the big girls area if they wanted. Multiple times I had to separate them due to the big girls being jerks. I also had to add more sticks for the babies to jump up onto to get away. The hens stopped being jerks after the chicks were 17 or so weeks old. It really depends on your birds honestly.
Wow that long?!

My big girls don’t behave particularly aggressive so I’m hoping they’ll be open to new members. But wow I didn’t realize it could take that long.

How big is your set up right now? Is there plenty of clutter in there? 1-2 weeks of see but no touch should be sufficient before you start letting them interact, depending on how the older birds act.
The current run is 8x8 but we are going to expand it more than twice that. Not sure the exact sq footage because it’ll be sort of odd shaped when it’s done. I don’t have any clutter in there. The water is a 5 gallon bucket in a corner, there’s a ladder for climbing and hanging out during the day in another corner, and the feed hangs in the center. Purposely did it this way to make sure they had as much ground space as possble.

One to 2 weeks of see don’t touch but how big should the new birds be before they go in? My big girls went out at 3 weeks but it was summer and they didn’t have older birds to compete with.

Just wanted to add on to this. Adds some clutter, additional water and feed stations. Then allow nature to happen. They WILL get picked on regardless of age and size. I integrated 4 adults to one 15 week old. Guess who is not at the bottom of the pecking order? I love watching their interactions.

I don’t have any clutter in there. The water is a 5 gallon bucket in a corner, there’s a ladder for climbing and hanging out during the day in another corner, and the feed hangs in the center. Purposely did it this way to make sure they had as much ground space as possble.
Ground space is essential for flock harmony, but so is clutter to help break out the space and provide relief from bullies (or pushy adults).

The big clutter thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140
One to 2 weeks of see don’t touch but how big should the new birds be before they go in?
Size isn't important - well, scratch that, there's actually certain advantages in adding chicks early vs late. The adults are less threatened by tiny chicks, tiny chicks can hide in spots that adults can't (usually referred to as chick doors, panic doors), and chicks are simply faster and more agile than adults.

I aim to fully integrate by 4 weeks old. I've had chicks loose with adults as early as 10 days old. At that age they're so small that they can squirt under a chain link fence or under a gap that's the height of a brick, but adults can't follow.

My early integration article (skip past the first half, that's just setting up a brooder): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom