New Baby Chick w/2 Bulging, Swollen Eyes...PICS included

I had a chick who had this exact same condition. It was one I hatched here at home. I tried to take care of it, hand feed it and hand water it with an eye dropper. It never got better and eventually died of starvation in my hands. Not something you want to have to deal with. If you just have to try to save it then antibiotics are the only thing I didnt try for mine. Good luck.

Excellent question jennifersmith326. I have hatched thousands of chicks over many years and just had a polish ( from someone else's stock) hatch and once dried and fluffy I moved it to brooder bin and it did the constant chirping, one eye stayed closed and became swollen and looked like it had a film over it like cataracts and it can't stand up for but a second And falls over. Have done all the usual things and even flushed eye and lots of nasty junk came out and it now appears empty cavity.. Initially for the first flush out it almost looked like it had debris in the eye from inside egg , but again something I have never seen from a newly hatched chick.. Very used to cutting open hens eyes to remove stuff but not this for our experts

We seem to have something similar happening. One of our chicks (hatched 3 days ago) does not open her eyes. Occasionally she will open them slightly but they look milky, like a cataract. She walks around like a drunk until she locates the corner. She then backs into the corner and sleeps. She will occasionally wander around but does so on wobbly legs. We have given her sugar water, moistened the eyes with warm water, and used a triple antibiotic ointment. We just got back from the feed store with electrolyte additive for the water. I have been placing her beak in the sugar water and now the electrolyte water. She does drink when I do this. I also had her drink some water that had some of the medicated chick food in it.

As we were giving her a dose of electrolytes via a dropper, she bumped one of her eyes against my hand and a blob of "puss" came out.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom