New baby chick with injured foot

I have had a broody, one of my favorite hens, who pecked and hurt her chicks. I removed them, and she never got to sit on eggs again. I would watch her carefully with the chicks until your are sure of their safety.

Does your chick hold it’s leg up to it’s body, or is it twisted or is it putting weight on it? Oh, I just saw your latest post. Holding it up may be a sprain or temporary injury.

5D619126-B7E3-424F-9D0D-D786A531A9A6.jpeg

Do you see in obvious injury? Scab or blood? Or is the chick merely limping or not putting weight on the foot? Does it stand with legs splayed?
No splayed legs it holds one up and the good one it sits and hops on. I don’t see any scabs or injuries on the legs of the bird. It did have a little peck mark behind head on neck. That’s all I’ve seen.

I have had a broody, one of my favorite hens, who pecked and hurt her chicks. I removed them, and she never got to sit on eggs again. I would watch her carefully with the chicks until your are sure of their safety.

Does your chick hold it’s leg up to it’s body, or is it twisted or is it putting weight on it? Oh, I just saw your latest post. Holding it up may be a sprain or temporary injury.
She is great with those three… but there were there a few days before this one hatched.

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Is the chick mobile ? I would separate the hen and chicks from the flock -
The hen has three chicks she has done great with the first couple days she had those… slowly more started hatching and these she hasn’t taken too so I have them inside my house with light and food and water. It is mobile sort of hops and flops around.

Put the lame chick in with those brooded chicks. A new chick derives comfort and security from being with other chicks. Being alone can cause serious issues that are completely avoidable.

Broody hens can and do inflict injury on hatching chicks for whatever their reasons. This one could have received a neurological injury from being pecked on the back of the head. It may or may not heal. You might assist healing with vitamin B-complex and vitamin E given with egg.

Put the lame chick in with those brooded chicks. A new chick derives comfort and security from being with other chicks. Being alone can cause serious issues that are completely avoidable.

Broody hens can and do inflict injury on hatching chicks for whatever their reasons. This one could have received a neurological injury from being pecked on the back of the head. It may or may not heal. You might assist healing with vitamin B-complex and vitamin E given with egg.
I’m new to hatching chicks lol with I get those supplements at the feed store and mix with egg?
I did put in with the brooded chicks!

Back
Top Bottom