new baby chicks questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by davekrista, May 7, 2011.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    My husband brought home 3 baby chicks (barred rocks) that were born on Monday, so they would be 5 days old today. I have hatched out ducklings but not sure how to care for baby chicks. What temp should the brooder be? I have the same kind of brooder set up I used for my duckling but I need to get a thermometer to see exactly what the temp is in there. They seem to be huddled together in the corner. Also do I need to put anything special in their water? I know for the ducklings we put niacin in the water. I have them on chick starter, is there anything else they need? We have adult chickens but we got them as adults, i just don't know the specifics for the babies.

Oh and these guys are a lot louder than i remember my ducklings being [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The first week it should be about 90 degrees F in the brooder, so they need a heat lamp. The learning center on this site sould have brooding info. Starter has all the nutrition they need, the niacin is a supplement needed only by water fowl. They might be loud because they are cold.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If they are huddled under the heat source and loudly peeping, they are cold. Lower the light.

If they are as far from the heat source as they can get and sort of lethargic, they are too hot. Raise the lamp.

I keep one area of the brooder warm and allow the far corners to cool off, 20 to 30 degrees cooler. Mine play all over the brooder, come back to the heat when they need to, and just find their own comfort zone.

The normal temperature range is between 90 and 95 degrees F the first week, them lower that temperature by 5 degrees F every week. By 5 weeks of age, they are fully feathered out and do not require any supplemental heat.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by