New baby goat questions

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
So last night around 9:15 p.m. one of our goats gave birth. She had a single huge baby boy! Well my question is when should the baby start to stand? He hasn't yet but part of me thinks it is because his legs were tucked up under him while being born. I had to go in and help him out because his legs were tucked and he was stuck. Could his legs just be weak from being under neith him during birth or am I just jumping the gun and need to let the little guy take his time? Thanks ahead for the help!

Here's a picture of them a few minutes after he was born.

So last night around 9:15 p.m. one of our goats gave birth. She had a single huge baby boy! Well my question is when should the baby start to stand? He hasn't yet but part of me thinks it is because his legs were tucked up under him while being born. I had to go in and help him out because his legs were tucked and he was stuck. Could his legs just be weak from being under neith him during birth or am I just jumping the gun and need to let the little guy take his time? Thanks ahead for the help!

Here's a picture of them a few minutes after he was born.
He should be up and nursing by now. You may need to go in and help. He needs the colostrum from mom so he gets a boost for his immune system. You may also need some help with momma goat. If this is her first, her udder may be sensitive and she may not like him nursing. You would need to have someone hold her, while you stand the little guy up and guide him to her teat.

My goat had her first freshening this year, with twins. Both boys were up withing an hour of birth, and nursing less than an hour later.

Good luck!

This is actually her 5th or 6th birth. She usually has twins so we were surprised she only had one this round. We have watched him and he is nursing just not walking around every where. I just went out and he is standing and was nursing so I think everything should be alright :). Guess he is just a late bloomer! I'll still keep a close eye on him still though to make sure he is alright. Good luck with your twins!

Your last post was 2 days ago...I'm hoping that the little guy got up and is moving around normally now...

Any update?

If not, you should give him a shot of Bo-Se (get it from your vet).

Visit the sister site, BackYard Herds, for more info specific to goats.

Sorry for not updating. The little guy is doing well. We bottle fed him some of his moms milk because we weren't sure if he was eating but he is up and about now and nursing like crazy. I think he should be fine now just had a rough birth :).

Back
Top Bottom