New baby not eating

Soccerklan

In the Brooder
May 2, 2015
Grass Valley, Ca.
Hi, we are new to the chicken world and need some help. We just got our first batch of babies and there was one with splayed legs that the guy gave us for free because it was "damaged". If that was the only problem I think I would be fine but I don't think it is. She is weak, not eating or drinking on her own, and sleeps constantly. We got her to drink a little sugar water (by dripping it on her beak) in hopes of pepping her up enough to eat but she is still sleeping a lot. The others babies are all eating and drinking normally so I don't think it's a disease but I'm not sure how to help her best. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm already attached to her and don't want to lose her! Thank you in advance!

Sometimes a baby chick needs a jump start. They are too weak to eat, and not eating makes them even weaker, so you need to get something highly nutritious into them to give them some strength.

Get some tofu, crumble it up and sprinkle some Poultry Nutri-drench over it. Offer it to all the chicks because the weak chick often will be inspired by the others eating it and will try it.

Another good thing to try is boiled egg yolk. Again, sprinkle the Nutri-drench over it. It's a highly concentrated formula of nutrients just for poultry.

Hi, we are new to the chicken world and need some help. We just got our first batch of babies and there was one with splayed legs that the guy gave us for free because it was "damaged". If that was the only problem I think I would be fine but I don't think it is. She is weak, not eating or drinking on her own, and sleeps constantly. We got her to drink a little sugar water (by dripping it on her beak) in hopes of pepping her up enough to eat but she is still sleeping a lot. The others babies are all eating and drinking normally so I don't think it's a disease but I'm not sure how to help her best. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm already attached to her and don't want to lose her! Thank you in advance!

Get a small syringe without the needle and get a little raw egg yolk in the syringe and try to feed it drops of yolk. Baby food like peas mixed with that are also helpful to try to feed chicks that are too weak to eat. You will have to try to feed it every couple of hours or so to get it's strength up. Also, don't forget some water. If you have some vitamin/electrolyte powder to put in their water, give it some of that water also with the syringe. Or just the poultry nutri drench, a drop or so at a time might help perk it up. Check it every day for pasty butt. Sometimes happens with chicks fed different diets. Don't want the little one to get plugged up. You need to fix the splayed legs though. A bandaid cut lengthwise helps chicks with splayed legs. The sooner done, the easier to fix.
Here's a thread showing how to help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions

Sometimes a baby chick needs a jump start. They are too weak to eat, and not eating makes them even weaker, so you need to get something highly nutritious into them to give them some strength.

Get some tofu, crumble it up and sprinkle some Poultry Nutri-drench over it. Offer it to all the chicks because the weak chick often will be inspired by the others eating it and will try it.

Another good thing to try is boiled egg yolk. Again, sprinkle the Nutri-drench over it. It's a highly concentrated formula of nutrients just for poultry.

I did this ^^ for my blue andalusian chicks that did the same thing. Separate the chick too, so the others don't eat all it's stuff. The sugar water helps to a point, then they seem to need to get some actual nutrients and that nutri-drench works wonders. :)

Good luck!
hugs.gif

Here's more info on Nutri-Drench and where to get it:
Read post number 4 in this thread. It will tell you what to do while you deal with the stress which is affecting your chicks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/976434/i-need-help
also the 1st 3 posts in the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
1 drop only by mouth per chick, then repeat as needed every 8 to 10 hours
Then 2ml per gallon in their water for maintaance, 4 ml per gallon in their water for stress situations.
I raise my chicks with the 2ml solution in their water for the 1st 4 weeks to get them off to a strong start.
My formula water looks like the color of very weak tea.

Best,
Karen

Thank you all for the advice. Last night we soaked a little of the food in water to make a mush and she ate a smidge and drank a little bit more. And today I'm trying the Poultry Nurti-Drench instead of the sugar water for all the chicks, and will try the other suggestions as well. We did add the bandaid to her legs to fix the spraddle leg and she seems to be standing a bit more :) She started chirping more today so I'm hoping that is a good sign! She doesn't open her eyes though and I'm wonder if there is a way to tell how old she is? She is a Bantam Silkie and is super tiny. Her body is maybe 2 inches and she fits easily in the palm of my hand. Is there a chart that I can try to gage her age by her size?

Last edited:
She didn't make it :'( RIP Black Bantam Silkie Melody Pond
Sorry for your loss. I had one pass a week ago and have another that was having seizures but she's doing better. Not easy but raw egg yolks as far as nutrition is the best option for chick that won't eat. I am feeding mine that right now egg yolk with a bit of water to make it easier to swallow and a few drops of apple cider vinegar. Again sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom