New baby.

fatmomolive

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
29234FC7-1870-429B-B227-DFCFE22D762A.jpeg
29234FC7-1870-429B-B227-DFCFE22D762A.jpeg
9D117130-75EE-4694-9FAB-E3E426D0B689.jpeg
View attachment 1946057 View attachment 1946056 View attachment 1946054 So we have a flock of 27 chickens. Some are almost 2 and the other half are about 8 months old. This summer we had two hens go broody but Other hens kept trying to go into their nesting box and sitting on those eggs needless to say none of them ever hatched. We were cleaning out some boxes in the garage at the beginning of the month- when we found one of our bantam hens sitting on a nest of several eggs. Needless to say we cleaned the area up and made her a box that was better padded than what she had put together. We left her to her business but didn’t think much of it since nothing came of the summer brooders. We last night we checked in her and my husband heard chirping coming from under her. She was being a bit protective so I let her be. This morning I got her up to take a look and there is one lone baby ( we hope it’s a girl). I worry tho because we live in Ohio and while the early part of the week is in the 60s the later part of the week has highs in the 40s. So if I keep her separate to give her a good start - I hate to introduce them back into the flock in the coldest months but I’m not sure what the best plan of action is. Also if anyone has ability to identify what mama is that’d be great. Hard to say who daddy is because we currently have 5 ( was 6 Roos) and not by our choice. We have a brown silkie boy/lavender orphington boy/yellow colored polish boy/ Cochin boy white and black/ and a brown bow who looks a bit like Kellogg’s rooster but less flashy. I’ll post pictures if anyone can identify or help with what the best plan of action should be. Thanks!

9D117130-75EE-4694-9FAB-E3E426D0B689.jpeg

Last edited:
So we have a flock of 27 chickens. Some are almost 2 and the other half are about 8 months old. This summer we had two hens go broody but Other hens kept trying to go into their nesting box and sitting on those eggs needless to say none of them ever hatched. We were cleaning out some boxes in the garage at the beginning of the month- when we found one of our bantam hens sitting on a nest of several eggs. Needless to say we cleaned the area up and made her a box that was better padded than what she had put together. We left her to her business but didn’t think much of it since nothing came of the summer brooders. We last night we checked in her and my husband heard chirping coming from under her. She was being a bit protective so I let her be. This morning I got her up to take a look and there is one lone baby ( we hope it’s a girl). I worry tho because we live in Ohio and while the early part of the week is in the 60s the later part of the week has highs in the 40s. So if I keep her separate to give her a good start - I hate to introduce them back into the flock in the coldest months but I’m not sure what the best plan of action is. Also if anyone has ability to identify what mama is that’d be great. Hard to say who daddy is because we currently have 5 ( was 6 Roos) and not by our choice. We have a brown silkie boy/lavender orphington boy/yellow colored polish boy/ Cochin boy white and black/ and a brown bow who looks a bit like Kellogg’s rooster but less flashy. I’ll post pictures if anyone can identify or help with what the best plan of action should be. Thanks!

We're also in Ohio, and one of our hens just hatched out two little ones. The babies hatched out in a nest box, but we moved them into a large critter cage so they can still be in the coop, but are protected from the other birds. Is putting a smaller cage in the coop and option? That way when the babies are big enough to be loose with the flock, the other birds will already be used to them. :)

I can't wait to see pictures!

We're also in Ohio, and one of our hens just hatched out two little ones. The babies hatched out in a nest box, but we moved them into a large critter cage so they can still be in the coop, but are protected from the other birds. Is putting a smaller cage in the coop and option? That way when the babies are big enough to be loose with the flock, the other birds will already be used to them. :)

I can't wait to see pictures!
i posted pictures as a reply to my original statement- see if you can help identify our mama

Back
Top Bottom