New Backyard Chickens Member

We ended up making a nice little enclosure over her and her eggs and the two chicks that had hatched last night covered them well. They made it through the night and now the count is at five with one egg pipped. There are still 10 eggs to go though. The daycare is all set up in the coop and waiting for them. I was thinking that I will wait until just before dark tonight to see who else hatches then if no signs or action then candle the remaining and move everyone to the coop. The first babies are gong to need to eat and drink pretty soon so I want to give them all more room, although I did put some chick feed and a waterer in there for them and momma. Do you think that's a good plan or should I let them go through another night and see what tomorrow morning brings with the remaining eggs?? Unsure what is the right move??

Don't move them until all the chicks that are going to hatch have hatched. When they hatch the chicks absorb the yolk into the abdomen so they don't have to eat or drink for 3 days. I would give them another day, as soon as mama starts getting off the nest than it's time to move them to the new coop. However if you candle the eggs and all the others are clear, than you can probably go ahead and move them.

Hi :) Nikki from Tennessee. I started my hobby in the spring and am totally addicted to my flock. I love this site and often find information here. It just occurred to me I had never joined. Thanks!

Hi :) Nikki from Tennessee. I started my hobby in the spring and am totally addicted to my flock. I love this site and often find information here. It just occurred to me I had never joined. Thanks!
welcome-byc.gif
Nikki! Nice to meet another Tennessean!

Hi Nikki, welcome to BYC!

Glad you joined us!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom