New Backyard Chickens Member

Okungenamkhawlo

Hatching
Sep 11, 2015
Hawaii.
Hello, My name is Olumnandi, I am from Hawaii and I am considering getting Chickens, I used to take care of them when I was younger, My parents bought some, I am hoping to just be able to read and learn quite a bit before I try anything, and hopefully within a few months I can start raising some! :)

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Olumnandi!

I can never find the right place or even how to start my own thread. I need some help with what to do with a bloody that has hatched outside the coop. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

So you meant to say you "have a broody that hatched chicks" or is "trying to hatch chicks"?

Either way, if she is outside the coop, she is easy prey. Best to wait until nightfall and then move her and her eggs/chicks into the safety of the coop.

I can never find the right place or even how to start my own thread. I need some help with what to do with a bloody that has hatched outside the coop. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

There's a lot to BYC so it can take a bit of finding your way around. Try this for posting a new thread:

Hover your cursor over the Forums tab, you'll see a list of forums drop down (Forum Information, Raising Backyard Chickens, Chicken Breeds, etc.)

When you move your cursor over one of those forums, another menu will drop down (for example, hover over Raising Backyard Chickens and you'll see threads such as Incubating & Hatching, Raising Baby Chicks, etc.)

Click on the one that says Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying

Towards the top left part of the screen you'll see a blue box that says Start A New Thread

Click on that blue box and a window will open where you can type in the Title and the broody question you have

Click submit when you're done typing. Now your new thread is posted and members can read and respond.

Try it and see if that helps.

We ended up making a nice little enclosure over her and her eggs and the two chicks that had hatched last night covered them well. They made it through the night and now the count is at five with one egg pipped. There are still 10 eggs to go though. The daycare is all set up in the coop and waiting for them. I was thinking that I will wait until just before dark tonight to see who else hatches then if no signs or action then candle the remaining and move everyone to the coop. The first babies are gong to need to eat and drink pretty soon so I want to give them all more room, although I did put some chick feed and a waterer in there for them and momma. Do you think that's a good plan or should I let them go through another night and see what tomorrow morning brings with the remaining eggs?? Unsure what is the right move??

Back
Top Bottom