New bator...how do I use it?

To find out humidity you're going to have to get a hygrometer. I have the same model as you, and I'm going to have to get one myself.

You don't really determine what you set it for, you just turn the screw to increase or decrease, then wait for the light to turn off and THAT's the temp you're set at!

HTH!

oh...well that sucks. i ordered it from mypetchicken. how would you increase humidity if all you can do if fill the thing it says to fill?

Didn't it come with instructions? THe Hovas usually have a pretty decent set.

You'll need to put a thermometer/hygrometer in the incubator. Humidity is generally controlled by the amount of surface liquid, e.g. 6 square inches of liquid in an enclosed area will give a lower % humidity than 10 square inches. So yeah, fill what they recommend, read your hygrometer, and adjust the amount of surface liquid accordingly.

Last edited:
For humidity you'll need a hygrometer. I have a Hova Bator forced air but with the picture window. When I filled the trough with water the humidity got too high - I ended up using a baby food jar filled with water. I think it depends where you live and the humidity in the room the bator is in. As far as temp, you just turn it on and then adjust the thermostat with the screw on top of the bator. It's a decent, reliable bator for a hobby hatcher, just takes a little while to get everything set up.

ok, i keep setting it so the light comes on, and 30 seconds later i have to redo everything because the light comes off. it is a steady 90 now and wont go above that...

It's going to take WAY longer for the temp to even out. Set it and walk away for an hour. Then check the temp. Make another small adjustment and walk away for another hour. You have to be patient with an incubator. It has to be allowed to stabilize.

If it is holding steady at 90, just turn the knob so the light is on again. Keep doing this until the temp holds steady at higher and higher temperatures. My guess is it will take at least 3-4 turns to get it up to 100 or so. And only make a turn once every 1-2 hours because it will take time to heat up. What may help it is a few bottle of water inside, as empty bators can be harder to maintain. But, if you do put bottles into help maintain temp, you must wait at least 3 hours or so, for the temperature to re stabilize.

Back
Top Bottom