New BCM Rooster But Eggs Same Color as Before?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by desertskynm, Jul 25, 2010.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi all...

This is my first post but I am a long time lurker... [​IMG]

Ok, I saw an ad for a free rooster, so I got him and took him home. Then did some internet searching to find out more about him and he is a Black Cooper Marans. I was very happy. But now that I have seen him mate with the girls (he is rather shy) the egg colors have not changed- still look like the eggs you would expect from a RIR, BA, and Wyndotte.

Doesn't some of the coloring come from the roo? Is he possibly sterile? The previous owners repeatedly said he had sired many, many babies. Could it be he is old? His spurs are really long and pointy. I asked the previous owners and they said he was a year old but they weren't sure...

Just trying to figure out why the egg colors are not becoming darker...

Thanks in advance,
    DesertSkyNM

2. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Your hens eggs will stay the same no matter what rooster is with them.
    The pullets hatched from the eggs he has fertilized will be or should be darker.
    Its passed on by breeding.
    [​IMG]

3. Keara

Keara Songster

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I am 99.9% sure that it will be his female offspring that will lay the darker eggs. Now that they have been fertilized by the BCM roo, you need to hatch out some of your girls eggs!

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] the roo passes the egg color gene on to his DAUGHTERS they will lay a darker egg [​IMG] you will just have to wait and hatch some and then let them lay.

5. desertskynm

desertskynm In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    WOW! Such fast and kind responses!!!

Ok, so I just need to raise the babies! Cool.

I had bought an incubator- but how do you know which eggs are fertile to put in the incubator?- Enrique the roo is rather shy...

Please let me know if I need to move this part of the topic elsewhere...

So glad to be a member- you guys rock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: