New Bettas!

Bettas are truly an incredible fish. They like warm temps around 78 to 80 degrees, although they will tolerate temps in the mid 70's.

Because they are a labryinth fish they do not necessarily require a filter in their tank, although it does keep the water quality better for them. That is why you see them in those little bowls with no filtration. They are air breathers.

You can keep Bettas with Cories, but not with some of the other so called scavengers. Otocinclas cats are a dwarf species that will help with algae control and are good with Bettas. Just provide them with something to hide in in case your Betta is too agressive towards them at first. In the wild, male Bettas stake out a territory and will defend it against other fish, especially other males. They will build their nest and hopefully entice a female swimming by to spawn with them. IF she likes him then she will spawn with him, he will put the eggs in the nest and then he will send her on her way. It is one of the few species of fish that the male tends to the fry.

If you get some of the broader leaf plants for your tank you may find your betta resting on the leaves at times. He will use them as a sleeping platform.

You can always check out IBC.org for more information on raising and keeping Bettas

I love bettas. Right now I have 7 but i used to have 15 at the most one time. Thinking about breeding my white female with a male crowntail to see what i get.

Congrats on your new Betas!

I had 2 males, but am down to just a dark blue one now. I lost my pretty red one last week
sad.png
I am looking for a new one, but the pet store didn't have any ones that I liked the last time I was there.

would love to see pics of your new guys! I just lost mine a couple months ago..not sure why...he was about two years old and seemed in fine health, but after loosing my spotted cory catfish he quit eating...so now I just have one albino cory and i need to at least go get him a friend.

to the person who was wondering about putting cories in with bettas, I had only about a 2.5 gallon tank with one betta and two cories with no problems at all. Maybe I just had a tolerant betta, but they all seemed to enjoy eachothers company.

Back
Top Bottom