New birds (Araucana).... how did we do??

Very cute!

The first is either a young cockerel, or a pullet or hen.

I love the speckledy one. It almost looks Tolbunt.

And yes, araucanas probably do come in 100s of color variations. There are only a few "approved" colors -- but there's lots and lots of non-approved colors out there! And unlike Ameraucana breeders, we are not gonna throw em all into the "EE" pile just because they may fail the "approved color" test. While it is a goal to breed for approved colors, the tufts and rumps and combs are all a lot more important!

Quote:
Not exactly true. There are only a certain number of recognised varieties for araucanas, and these are quite obviously true araucanas, not EEs. It is too late for me to go look at my standard to count and name recognised varieties, but it is far less than 100s. Maybe ten or so.

I was counting all of them, not just the recognised varieties. I have seen so many colors at swaps and sales, even if they are mixed its something like Seramas, most of those are mixed colors but they have names for them

You've seen true araucanas in a wide range of unrecognised colours at swap meets and sales? EEs, I can believe, but true araucanas are not common.

There are many true aracauna in this part of the country. I've seen lots of colors too. Mine are non-standard. Still waiting for the eggs!

Congrats on your new additions! Don't worry about your white hen being 2- I have some banty cochin girls that are still laying great at almost 3, and love to go broody.

Quote:
They aren't common, but many of the ones you'll see will be non-accepted colors.

I myself bought five bantam araucanas at the Newnan show (Newnan, GA). I bought them from another member of the ACA (Araucana Club of America). One is white, one is black, one is gold duckwing. Of the other two, one is a sort of silvery-fawny-maybe-on-the-way-to-duckwing, and the other is a patterned-black-maybe-on-the-way-to-black-or-maybe-on-the-way-to-duckwing.

Breeding araucanas isn't really like breeding most other breeds. It's HARD to get everything together in one bird. We can't afford to be nearly as persnickety as Ameraucana folks when it comes to throwing out birds for the sin of being the wrong color.

Quote:
They aren't common, but many of the ones you'll see will be non-accepted colors.

I myself bought five bantam araucanas at the Newnan show (Newnan, GA). I bought them from another member of the ACA (Araucana Club of America). One is white, one is black, one is gold duckwing. Of the other two, one is a sort of silvery-fawny-maybe-on-the-way-to-duckwing, and the other is a patterned-black-maybe-on-the-way-to-black-or-maybe-on-the-way-to-duckwing.

Breeding araucanas isn't really like breeding most other breeds. It's HARD to get everything together in one bird. We can't afford to be nearly as persnickety as Ameraucana folks when it comes to throwing out birds for the sin of being the wrong color.

gig.gif
I love the banties I got from Amazondoc. Maybe I'm going to pay her a visit for more girls if she'll part with any ...hint hint!

Quote:
I'm glad you're still enjoying them. You'll have to wait if you wanna pry more girls outta my clutching hands, though. Got more eggs going in the bator tonight!

ETA: I'm hoping for some exciting chicks this year. Right now I've got breeding groups separated for duckwing/BBR, black, and the interesting pseudo-pyle that some of my birds are showing. Cross your fingers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom