New birds potentially contaminated?

flowerchild59

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Southern IL
I was in the process of selling off my older flock today, and was in the coop catching the girls, when i turned around the man buying them had walked into the coop with his nasty carrier from his truck and layed it down in the middle of the coop. I was flabbergasted. I didn't ask for his help but I guess he was wanting to help catch them.
From a biosecurity stand point I know he has chickens at home and I don't quite know what to do. I was making room in the coop for the new breeds I am purchasing.
Is there anything preventive that I should do for the hens and chicks exposed? I don't want to risk losing these new birds.

Quote:
I admire your biosecurity awareness. What a nightmare! Short of quarantining your flock and putting AG lime down in the pen and tilling it in and covering the soil with sand, spraying oxine in the coop, waterers/feeders etc...(you get the picture)...this is an unfortunate situation for you. If you had a second coop/pen to put the newbies in, a good distance away from your flock, it might not be so bad. You're going to have to quarantine them anyway before introducing them to your old flock. At this point, all you can do is observe your current flock for the usual respiratory symptoms, treat or cull. Give it 30 days for symptoms to appear before introducing the new birds with the old ones....even that is not a guarantee though. If an outbreak occurs and you decide to treat instead of cull, look into denegard for treating them. I've been reading some good things about it. It's for swine but can be used for chickens...no resistance, no withdrawal. Type in "denegard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom