New born chics and heat plate vs heat lamp

Heather67

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Merit, Texas
I put my newly hatched chics in the brooder with a heat plate and they are chirping like crazy. I was worried they weren’t warm enough so I put on the heat lamp and they laid down and were quiet. I can’t find my thermometer and I’m worried the plate isn’t putting out enough heat for them. Thoughts?

Sometimes you have to scoot them under there and hold them until they feel the heat.
And make sure the plate is set at the right height so it touched their backs.

That said I do use a heat lamp(reptile light with rheostat) over the feed and water station during the first few days.

Where are you brooding, inside, out, garage? If you have them within the temps of your home then don't be worried at all while you get set up. If you have a meat thermometer that can work to give you an idea and of course set the plate pretty low enough according to their size. In all my years I've worried so much more about them being too hot than I have about them being cold (unless they are outside in cold temps.) Every trick in the book about plates and pads is in this thread.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

[snip]

That said I do use a heat lamp(reptile light with rheostat) over the feed and water station during the first few days.
I had not considered doing this for a short period. When we get the chicks if it is COLD, I may try this. I can see right where I could safely add the ceramic reptile light/heat.

I had not considered doing this for a short period. When we get the chicks if it is COLD, I may try this. I can see right where I could safely add the ceramic reptile light/heat.
It helps me make sure they are all eating and drinking and moving around OK.
One of the downsides to using a plate/pad is visual checks.
A good reason to use a stiff flat plate/pad frame, you can tip it back to take a look.

I have the RentaCoop heating plate. My chickies figured it out and were under it last night. Tonight I felt the underside and would not be able to hold my hand on there without being burned. Worried me a bit...
That plate is too hot. I’m using a K&H plate and the chicks go right under with no problem. They come out to eat, drink and peck around the shavings and when they get cool, they are back under the plate. I can hold my hand on it with no problem. It runs at about 100 degrees plate temp. If yours is too hot to touch, it;s too hot for the chicks to touch.

I'm going to be brooding 5-10 chicks & this will be my first broody batch in a couple of years. The plan is to brood them indoors but my home is only 61 degrees this time of year. I'm scared to death of the potential for fires & worry every time I have to leave for work so a heat lamp terrifies me. Which has the least potential for tragedy....the heating plate or the heating pad over a sturdy metal frame?

Would I be better to get chicks shipped in July when the coop temps should be plenty hot enough to not need an external heat source? We start getting frosts as soon as early October. Will the chicks be able to withstand those temps at just 3-4 months old?

Back
Top Bottom