New Braunfels, TX. Anyone want to help me

TravisandJill

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Hi everyone, it has been 2 years now since I have had to give up my chickens because you cannot have chickens on less than 40,000 square feet.

" Household pets which are normally and customarily kept as household pets (including pigeons, but excluding chickens, pheasants, cows, horses, sheep, goats, rabbits, and other fowl and livestock) will be allowed in any zoning district. No person shall keep, harbor or maintain more than 75 pigeons on a single lot, parcel or tract of land. All pigeons so kept shall be confined at all times in a clean, sanitary cage or loft located at least 50 feet from any residence on adjacent property. Pigeons bearing a seamless leg band issued by a recognized association of pigeon fanciers may be released for exercise or performance, upon the condition that the owner or person having possession of such pigeons shall not permit them to alight on any structure or property of others. Livestock or other fowl may be kept in any zoning district on a tract of land containing a minimum of 40,000 square feet. Up to 50 fowl or one head of livestock may be kept for each 40,000 square feet of land on the tract. No fractional measurements of land will be allowed in computing such required land area, nor shall such fowl or livestock be allowed to roam, graze, or be housed within 100 feet of any residence on adjacent property or within 500 feet of any food service establishment or food processing establishment, regardless of ownership or occupancy of such establishments"

I know I have seen an few other people from NB on here and was wondering if we can band together to try and change the law to allow chickens on less than 40,000 square feet?

Thanks! Jill

[email protected]

I don't have a clue how to go about helping but, if it were me......I'd use the pigeon's against them. 75 pigeons seems awful high to me. I know that a few chickens would not make as big a mess as 75 pigeons and you probably would not be letting them out to fly across other peoples property like the pigeons are allowed to do! I wish I could help. At least write the officials in your town a letter.

Hay just voicing my support. I was thinking about having a petition at the New Braunfels Feed and Supply for people to sign but I'm really not that outgoing.
I sent emails to both the mayor and my district rep requesting the ordinances be changed and citing reasons it should be done as well as ways to get around the potential negatives of having chickens.

Also, What did they do to you? Did they just request you get rid of them? Did they fine you? How did they find out?

Last edited:
Thought I'd post here again to let New Braunfelians know that I wrote a letter to the mayor and she says there's been a recent rise in backyard chicken support and she's looking into it with the city manager. I know I'm just getting my hopes up. If anyone from New Braunfels is looking here, please at the least send an email to [email protected] letting her know why you believe backyard chickens should be legalized.

Back
Top Bottom