New breed ‘No crow roosters’

This breed doesn't crow.. get one of these fellas.

hard.png

I think it should be possible if you select the right genes, we’ve been manipulating everything, plants and animals alike since forever, so I don’t see how this would be impossible. However, I think it hasn’t been done because having roosters is not as common in residential areas as having dogs or cats, for example. (At least where I live). Where it’s common to have them (countryside, farms) people don’t really need a quiet rooster, and I guess that’s why it hasn’t been attempted. If there’s demand, there’s supply, that’s what I think it happens with everything. But there should be a good amount of possible customers to make it possible.

I think it should be possible if you select the right genes, we’ve been manipulating everything, plants and animals alike since forever, so I don’t see how this would be impossible. However, I think it hasn’t been done because having roosters is not as common in residential areas as having dogs or cats, for example. (At least where I live). Where it’s common to have them (countryside, farms) people don’t really need a quiet rooster, and I guess that’s why it hasn’t been attempted. If there’s demand, there’s supply, that’s what I think it happens with everything. But there should be a good amount of possible customers to make it possible.
I’m sure there is a demand. But most people are probably not willing to pay 💰 € 100 or more for a no-crowing rooster. Because we can do without them too.

Let’s try a poll .

I’m sure there is a demand. But most people are probably not willing to pay 💰 € 100 or more for a no-crowing rooster. Because we can do without them too.

Let’s try a poll .
I agree! Unless it becomes the new fashion for rich/eccentric people I’m afraid there are not possible buyers at that price range 😅

I would easily give $ 50 /€ 50 though, for a nice bantam rooster with a soft-crow and not too protective (read not aggressive at all). And I’m sure there are more customars like me.

I'm quite sure that being mute can be genetic. It was the whole basis for Heart's Blood in Jane Yolen's book series. Once you have an animal that is genetically mute breeding the mutation is fairly straightforward.

I'm going to put in an ad on our Aussie marketplace to see whether anyone's got a soft crow/silent roo... worth a try! In the meantime, we'll just have to cross our fingers if we find the "golden needle" from our own flocks.

The hunt is on!! Maybe we should put something up on BYC to hunt for the elusive whisperer!?

I agree go with aseel. Mine only crows once a day in the spring and is quiet for the rest of the year. His sons never crow at all. When I had bantam roosters they would crow all day long.

I've been searching on our Marketplace for Aseels and haven't had much luck so far. It's suppose to be rare but it's even rarer to find in Australia!

I read Aseel roos are very aggressive towards other chickens? How did you manage him and his son?

Back
Top Bottom