New brooder box questions

lmz534

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
I set up a brooder box for babies coming next week. I took an old dog crate, approx. 2.5 ftx 1.5 ft (1.5 tall) and lined it with cardboard and left off the top and botton grates. it's like a pen. I set it up in my garage. My question is, It's currently 80 some degrees in my garage, will the heat lamp make it TOO hot for them? Do they even need one in this summer heat? The garage is well ventilated and I would def. use the lamp at night regardless (temp does drop down at night). I think the pen is big enough for them to get away from the heat too if need be. It just seems silly to use the lamp during the heat of the day. I also thought of using a lower wattage bulb. Recommendations appreciated, this is my first batch of teenie ones!

They won't need much additional heat. I'd be quite careful. Keep the wattage low and be prepared with cables to be able to raise it higher, if need be. You are right to assume that too much heat is not a good thing. Let the body language of the chicks tell you what they want. I'm sure you know the signs of too hot or too cold.

Back
Top Bottom